THE LOOK FOR LESS





Occasionally  this design business can be hard.....for instance helping a client choose a DR table.  Light or dark....leaf or not.  What kind of legs on it.... or should we go more casual or traditional.

Find the table but can't find chairs.  Should we do a bench on one side?  Then.... can't find a bench long enough.  The selections can be endless.

I know what your thinking.  First world problems. Yeah I hear you but dang sometimes my indecisiveness can spill over to my work.  I am also sure that my client is thinking "I hired you to make this decision because I couldn't"..... so get with it sister.

I will keep you posted on this most important quandary.

I am constantly faced with the dreaded "B" word while working with clients.

Yes....like it or not we all have a budget.  While searching for light fixtures the other day I realized that just like with fashion Home Decor has many price points for similar items.

Take lighting for instance.  Here are a few examples.



  Take off the small shades and you could have a pretty good version..


A while back I put this to the test using the Ballard Designs version.


The difference in price is hard to beat!





Again....remove the shades.  You know I am a big fan of a classic lantern

As you can see here....with a few of my projects.



In my own dining room....

I love both of these rope fixtures....with all of that great texture!


Yes there are subtle differences with cheap the less expensive versions.  But.....after the whole room is done many time they can be overlooked!

I am getting excited about going to the NY show.  Come by and say Hi....booth 1956.  Since my husband will be hanging out with Cami I am sure they will break all of my rules:)

Can we make it a great day?

Shacheapskate 






9 comments

Missy in Texas said...

So fun to see all the Niermann Weeks Chandeliers. You will not believe this story-- I unknowingly bought the large size Niermann Weeks Avignon Chandelier off of Craigslist for $150!!! I had never heard of NW. My husband was hanging it up and saw the little engraved plate on top that says Niermann Weeks, so I looked it up online. I just about had a heart attack when I saw how much retail is on them. I loved it so much before, but love it even more now that I know the price!! 😉

Mary Ann Pickett said...

This was such a great post! Sometimes there is no money left for lighting and good style on a budget works...but other times I back $ out for the lighting (and pillows of course) upfront...at least at the Circa level. That is sooo cool what Missy just related.

Kelly@Bungalow Blue said...

What a great roundup, Sherry! You always, always nail the lighting in every project you work on but it's always fun to see great alternative options for those who can't afford or would never pay $12,000 for a chandelier!

therelishedroost said...

Very true these days it seems budget always comes up! We really are the only ones who can look at the finish and weight of the piece and know which is more expensive so if it mimics the real thing and fits int eh budget one has to go with it.
The days of buying Niermann and Rosselli and few and far between, I love the round up you have here. K

Linda @ a design snack said...

Love your dining room! Great selection of chandeliers. The b word is problematic. With new clients I use "investment" rather than the big bad b, as in "what your desired level of investment for this project?" Really gets them thinking. Sometimes. Or not.

Victoria said...

Thanks for the great post, Sherry. Sometimes you can tell the difference in person, but on a tight budget these provide the look without having to take out a second mortgage.

Unknown said...

Great post Sherry! These are some of my favorites, too. A good lantern can't be beat! Have a great day. xo Nancy

Kisha Gianni said...

I think the lesson is: never buy Niermann Weeks. Haha! Great post and great pictures of your work!
Kisha@DesignInterventionDiary

Liz said...

I noticed in the latest Sunday advertisements that World Market also has chandeliers that are with current trends (the pottery barn with the wooden accents comes to mind). Only saw pictures and not in person, so unsure how great they actually look.

Back to Top