Denise part 2!

First of all can I say how thrilled Denise was with all of the wonderful comments about her room.  She said she kept looking out the door for "paparazzi"to be stalking her!  I said that bloggers give you the attention and praise no one else can.  Don't get me wrong...she quickly pointed out that her railing needs to be painted from that ugly builder yellow oak to black like her front stairs.  I told her that I put that picture in so she would not be able to sleep at night until that was done.  I am a good friend like that :)

So as promised, here are a few shots of the LR which she has turned into a sort of reading area.  Let's face it, in todays world, we really do not need 2 living areas.   Let me tell you a little something about Denise.  That girl will cut a small swatch of fabric and decide that the whole room will be done around that 2" by 2" square.  And then keep it for 2 years and slowly buy things to go with it as she sees them on sale. 2 years.  For real.  I swear.  I would have changed my mind 100 times by then and gone off on a hundred different directions.  She patiently stores things in the basement and closets until the time comes to put the room together.

W actually did this whole room in one day. 
 
OK..you won't believe this but we got the textured shades from Bed Bath & Beyond for a penny!  Yep...they were on clearance and rang up for that.  We tried to be cool when that happened, thinking it was a mistake and just slowly walked out waiting for the alarm to go off.  Then we ran like Bonnie and Clyde for a quick getaway.  The panels  from Macy's online with a coupon came to  19.00 for a set of 2!
Notice how she painted her windows black.  I have read a few post about this very thing last week.  It looks great.
Dining room light fixture.  Was mine and here is the before
She knocked out the glass and painted black.  I wanted it back after that.  But, she stood firm and said NO!  She can be "bitchy" like that.
The desk used to be in the foyer.  And, the chair was 10.00 at Scott's.  She painted it black and had the cushion made.  Lamp...where else...Homegoods.
The gallery wall...All the prints came from Scott's and they were like $8-$10.  Frames from Michaels during the 50% sale.  Large turtle shells from Scott's.  I sound like a broken record about Scott's but really it is the best place to shop.  AND I was roped into hanging all these pictures.  That is love :)  And...the curtain rods.  Which was a comedy....after making about 20 holes in the wall, we finally got them hung right.  Have I mentioned that I HATE to hang stuff.
OK...she has had the chairs for 10 years.  Classic black, cream and gray stripe.  Pillow, small table and lamp from Target.
Other chair.
Remember these tables from Target?  You are going to say, yes about 4 years ago.  Well, she saved them for this room.  Could anyone else out there do that?  I'm just asking????
One wall in the DR.
Dining Room.  Notice the paneling is black.   Now don't be mean.  We know it looks like you could ice skate on that table top.  AND...she IS going to paint it cream, but you know how life goes....2 kids, band practice, soft ball games...the list goes on.  And there you are another year goes by and we are still ice skating.....

  I always say this about Denise...she can squeeze the living daylights out of a dollar and still have change. 





13 comments

Emily A. Clark said...

I'm in awe of this space! And, the curtains are unbelievable. And, the lantern. . . I could go on. I love what you come up with; you are one of the few I would let do my own home :)

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

Love it all! Really! Thanks again for sharing!

Tina said...

LOVE this Sherika!! Great shots too ;)

A Perfect Gray said...

sweetheart, the only thing that is possibly better than this space is your writing and humor! and I love both!

great job with the room. gotta love a bargan hunter. I am very jealous over those 1 penny bamboo-shades...

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

What a gorgeous home! I love the wall of prints and the turtle shells.
xoxo, Sherry

designchic said...

Fabulous job...adore the picture gallery!!

alison (semi-fab lane) said...

sherry, you are so funny with all your comments! it turned out great and your deals are the best! you sound like me when you talk about scotts (like i talk about crate&barrel outlet all the freakin time)

Dharma said...

That woman has patience to spare....I laughed about your "Start the Car" moment running into the parking lot to get away with your deal :) I have so done that!

lila Braga said...

wow..amazing shots of your gorgeous home ...bravo!!
love your taste,so simple and chic...gorgeous!
xoxo
lila

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Love this!! I LOVE the black trim and paneling!! Love that! I missed Denise Part 1 so I am backtracking....

Lou Cinda

My Interior Life said...

I'm with you - I would change my mind a million times while trying to commit to a look. God bless Denise and her patient soul. I should turn over a new leaf!

René said...

I'm dying here. A penny...seriously? I would have run too. Everything looks great!

-Rene

René said...

OK, just back to say that the light fixture idea was genius! I have been looking for a lantern for the stair way and the ones that I see at Restore have glass. Next time I'm buying one of those bad boys and doing the same thing.

-Rene

Back to Top