ONE ROOM CHALLENGE WEEK 7



Isn't it ironic that while the ORC was on going...I could never get my post out until late Wednesday afternoon.

Now that it's over....here I am....on time.

Really?



Last week I hung the mirror and added pillows.  This week I have reworked the bookshelves using some of what she had plus additional items I collected at various places around town.   

The thing about accessorizing is the time it takes to shop for items.  It can't be all new stuff..... I always like to add a little patina to give it a more curated look.  For this room....it is fairly traditional....I think you will see that  keeping a more monotone look was the best option.

Here is a picture of the "loot"...plus a sneak peek of the coffee table that Kristen painted!  She did a great job.



I am just getting started.....

Here is a picture of what I was working with. 



Obviously when you take away the framed pictures....there is not much left.  The items I decided to stick with were  the copper pot on the very top and the basket down on the bottom.  While I was out shopping I had a few inspiration pictures with me to help me stay focused.

Which is a task in itself...:)

At first I thought I would add some touches of blue....but after I started.....it just looked way busy.  Yikes.  Take everything back down and start over.  In the back of my mind...I remember a few conversations I had with "perfect client" about clutter....she likes a fairly clean look.

Now I am thinking I might not have enough stuff.  Panic.  Good thing I had scoured my house for some extra stuff.  

So...here is what I came up with for this side.



 I think I have mentioned before that  it's pretty dark in this den [because of the back porch] AND it was an overcast day here in ATL.  I tried to lighten these images up just in iphoto with my very limited skills....
I had the botanicals in my "stash", used her baskets on top.....filled up the Ikea baskets with paperbacks [she had].  I purchased the glass cloche, the small white vase, the 2 architectural pieces, small white box and the 2 pieces of wood.


Here is a closeup....



I can not tell you how much I wanted to keep those architectural pieces.  Like real bad.

One down....
Here is the before of the second one.

You can see 2 more of the copper buckets, and the matching basket.    I also kept the white vase.

And the after....
Again...I used her buckets, her tall white vase, her paperbacks.  I added a botanical, some books I found at a flea market, the shell, the other white vases.  More Ikea baskets.



Here is a closeup.


I found that cute set of old books in the urn....and picked up a succulent like mine to throw in another little white urn I found.



Here is the "big picture"....

I don't know who had the bright idea to turn books around....some fabulous stylist...but WOW it really does save money.  Can you imagine how much it would have cost to hunt for that many cream tone books to fill the baskets....and TIME!

You know what....I am feeling a little mean right now [could be cause I am hungry.....] but I think I will save the coffee table and the other shots until next week.  We are still waiting for the lamps....

But I do have a treat for you....

This is the front of this gorgeous home.....what did I tell you about the door huh?  I always leave a little drool on it before I depart....:)

Just in case you want to visit any of  the other ORC participants I am going to put the links up to make it easy for you.  See...I can be nice.


Lauren - The Cottage Mix
Lindsay - Everything LEB
Barbara - Hodge:Podge
Tiffany - Living Savvy
Jessie - Mix & Chic
Danylle - Nana Moon
Jennifer - The Pink Pagoda
Emily - Rue de Emily
Lindsay - Sadie + Stella


Happy Wednesday my chicas...

I am desperately trying to think of a costume for the Olympic party Sunday night.  AND something that does not involve skin showing....if you get my drift.

Sheriky









39 comments

Kim said...

love your styling! the bookcases look fantastic. I feel your envy over the architectural pieces! xo

René said...

Well done you shelf whisperer you. I like the earring too :)

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Such a cute exterior. Love the styling.

Naz said...

I'm jealous of your styling methods. So very pretty.

You could dress up like the parachute jumping Queen Elizabeth. Just remember to bring a little black purse with you. That's one way to be covered up. Fencing is another.....

My Interior Life said...

Styling is an art, and you've got it down, sister! Love that you kept it on tone on tone and au naturel. It really jibes with the rest of the space. And that is the cutest exterior! Love that door; I can see why you'd drool all over it.

Hmm. It's hard to think of a summer Olympic sport that doesn't involve showing a lot of skin. Maybe cycling? I mean, your legs are showing but nothing too crazy. Good luck with that.

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

And that is why they pay you the big bucks! Love the styling. I'm totally stealing the books in the baskets btw - great way to add texture. Love it all!

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

Perfecto!!! So that's why I'm seeing books backwards..interesting!
Opens up some "doors".
Costume...Rock climbing outfit with exposed skin painted with chalk paint!

Jessie said...

Your styling totally rocks, Sherry! The bookcases look fantastic. Love the colors and textures.

Looking forward to week 8 to see more!

Jessie
www.mixandchic.com

Simply LKJ said...

Amazing! Love the baskets with the books turned backwards.

Hyphen Interiors said...

Soaking in all your great styling! Love that you turned the books around! Great idea! Looks great so far!

Mary said...

I can put fabrics together but I can't style a shelf or tablescape to save my life. You are so talented!
Was the client there watching you as you worked? Looking over your shoulder?
For your costume...get an old lady frumpy suit, big framed glasses & carry a calculator. You can be a judge.

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

awww so good Sher! i love the stylings, and when you said the thing about turning the books around, it was like a big huge AH HA moment. I have seen it a million times but it never registered. good for you for having a good eye - thats why you are so good!

Emily A. Clark said...

Perfection, as usual.

A Perfect Gray said...

saving your photos of the bookcase stylings, sherry. they are THAT good. donna

pam {simple details} said...

My favorite...neutrals with texture, nobody does it better! You know we're all going to want to see the costume, right? :)

Unknown said...

Wish you could come style some shelves for me - want to come to Kentucky? That house is ridiculously beautiful! Love the front door color. I'm having door color issues right now. We had a new door installed, so I picked out a new color - and it looks terrible. boo- SO my painter is coming back to repaint another color. Fingers crossed the new color looks better - gah! Picking out colors for brick houses is not easy!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

What a great tip to turn the books around - I love that idea!! Sometimes I like the punch of color from books, but this is a great way to lighten up the look of a bookcase without spending any money. (Already I can hear my husband saying, but how will we know what book is what? He does not get the whole styling thing at all :)

Cassie {Hi Sugarplum} said...

Your shelves are perfection...and you're right, that house is drool-worthy! I've got a hankering to paint my front door now!

Kelly@Bungalow Blue said...

They look amazing, Sheri! Styling bookshelves is one of my favorite parts of accesorizing a client's space and you have such a great eye for details. Beautiful job!

Kelly said...

I love what you have done with the bookcases! That glass cloche with the rope in it is my favorite addition. I saw those at Ballards. Is that where yours came from? I love the soft taupe, grey and white colors you have combined. It's such a soft and pleasing color palette (my favorite kind). Can't WAIT to see the rest of the room! Don't keep us waiting too long....please!

michele said...

omg that is the cutest house.

i love what you've done to the shelves. i really do. and i need you here immediately because i too have those shelves and they look hideous at the moment because everything is out of scale.

re: costume.

if a speedo is out of the question, how about hopping over to goodwill to score awful wind pants and matching jacket. a terrycloth jimmy connors headband, american flag wrap, and you're good to go.

michele

Unknown said...

What a wonderful entry and beautiful home. Your styling is supreme..love the reverse book idea ( duh) never thought of that.
Got me drooling for the reveal, you tease.
Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

paula said...

Beautiful! You completely inspired me to get on task and FINALLY style up our new/antique cabinet.

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

What is that women doing living in my dream house with my dream designer??! Sherry, you are good. Like really really good. Ikea baskets huh? I would have never guessed.

Londen

The Pink Pagoda said...

Whoa. Sherry, you have serious styling skills that I'm feeling quite jealous of! And I love that you have a One Room Challenge Week 7.

Amanda said...

Effortless!! I tell ya! You make it seem so easy. It looks amazing. Cant wait to see more. and that front door-oh em gee!

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

Stunning shelves. I an dying to see the table...guess next Wednesday? Now that you got the hang of the One Room Challenge, you will be a posting fool next time. Your client's home is just lovely.

StagerLinda said...

Great styling! That many shelves is a lot of work. I love the tip about turning the books.

Tiffany @ {Living Savvy} said...

You are a great stylist! Stop kidding yourself! I love the tone on tone and all of the textures! Way to keep the challenge going and keeping us updated!

Karen at Home Sweet Hollywood said...

Very nice Sherry...love that styling!

Unknown said...

Fabulous job Sherry! The bookshelves look perfect! And so is that front door ... LOVE it!

Splendid Willow said...

Well, now that is styling at a very high level! 5 stars my friend. (And hooray for Ikea - need to get those baskets myself for books - turned the other way!).

Good to be back here. I have missed you. (I still have a birthday gift for you - going on several months now.... Will ship soon. At least it is nothing perishable...!)

oxox, Mon

Jennifer Reynolds Interiors said...

Hi Sherry,
Thank you so much for visiting my blog....it's nice to meet another Atlanta Designer!! The home that you're working on is GORGEOUS and you did afabulous job with the bookcases! xoxo
I also know another designer in your One Room Challenge Week, Lisa Mende, she's a great friend of mine!
So nice meeting you Sherry!!
Jennifer

Tammy@InStitches said...

Beautiful, love the peak of drapery fabric !

Kristen said...

yay! glad you like :)

Junell said...

Well done! Love the soothing shelves. You sure did take them up a couple of notches. LOVE the elevation shot of the home!

Cindy said...

Wow! You turned those book cases around. I'm so amazed at how fabulous they look now, i'm totally soaking it up and learning from you!

Cindy

Things That Inspire said...

The bookcases look amazing! Catching up after 2 weeks out of town with virtually no internet or phone service (I was in the wilds of Alaska).

I am thoroughly charmed by the front of this house too - love the door color!

- Holly

Mike said...

Kristen did a excellent job painting the table.

Back to Top