Paint!!!

I think every designer knows the value that paint can have on a project!  From painting a piece you found on the curb, goodwill, or just using it to recycle something in your own home, it is an instant way to update something.  Paint color can change a room from drab to fab in a day!  Instant gratification!
I have used paint [especially spray paint] to update so many things.
Here is a picture of my DR.  Notice the chandelier, the table base, and the rug.  Now the rug I have had for 15 years.  A very dear friend painted it for me.  She also helped me with the walls which were VERY textured.  I decided I wanted to freshen it up a bit.  The first thing was to sand the walls.  I was going to repaint but that was not going to happen.  My sister came to help me and we used hand sanders with 80 grit paper!  It got pretty smooth, but there were areas that just would not budge.  So...I decided that it looked better and fresher after the sanding and just decided to leave it for a while.
I have plaster ceilings and there was a crack running the whole length.  I have had it repaired twice so I decided to put planks up to cover them.  We actually used Hardie Plank cause it was free!!!
Here is the chandelier being sprayed!  I went through about 10 cans that weekend and my fingers were sore.
Getting ready to paint the inside of the rug.  The colors were red, green and brown.  Really not my colors anymore!!!  Now that was a chore.  It took about 4 coats to cover it all....
The ceiling and chandelier after!
Notice I painted the table base also.  I got that base at Scott's Antique market at least 15 years ago!!!
The rug is painted..changed out the curtains to linen for a softer look.....I change out the accessories on the table all the time....
SO...moral of the story!  Don't be afraid to paint something!  Enjoy the 4th!

4 comments

Kathysue said...

You did a great job to lighten and brighten. Love the table base, great find!! Kathysue
PS I found your blog via Emily Clark, I participated in the entry hall post also. Glad to have found you, love your blog,Kathysue

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

I paint everything. And may I recommend the $2.00 spray paint can trigger they sell at Home Depot. It will save your fingers!

A Perfect Gray said...

o. my. gosh. what a change! it looks terrific. I am on a hunt for a chandelier myself, and you have inspired me to look for something to paint. yours came out terrific. and the table base too. But if you EVER want to part with those chairs, babe, call me...

Chats with Jack said...

Thanks for reminding me of this post! I love the chandelier painted!! Now it will just take some woo-ing of my hubby to take it down from the ceiling. :-)

Back to Top