OK...decisions made...it's done

It was SO much fun reading the post about the agony of making decisions around your own house.  I can see that I am not alone with this affliction......Support group?
You probably think I have A LOT of free time to do all this, but I really don't.  My partner is gone for a month, and we finished up most of our projects [or hopefully got them in a "happy place"] so I seem to have a little too much time on my hands.
AND...here we are about the guest room.  It is finished and decisions have been made.  My sister came up with a brilliant plan.  I hope everyone has a sister.
Here we are in all our glory at Christmas, 1964!  That is me on the left.  I think the white socks add a nice touch to the outfit!
Anyway.....we were studying the photos of the room and had an AH HA moment.  Let's put the burlap headboard in the other guest room [which is white and will show up better] and figure out something else for the dark gray room.  OK...but what?  And it needs to be free.  Hmmmm.....so I go up in the attic and find an old door from when we renovated the house.  We drag it down [it's a heavy solid wood door].  OK...we will cut it down and paint it.  That just seemed to predictable.  But....keeping an open mind.  Off to Home Depot to get hooks.  On the way we passed a fence that had these large bolts in it...kind of industrial.  That's it.  We will use the bolts to put it in and add a little interest.  THEN....we decided not to even cut it down or paint it.  Leave it long and kind of "shabbyish".  I was getting a headache trying to figure out how to get these large bolts secured in plaster [my house was built in 1946].  If anyone out there has ever dealt with plaster it can be a "bitch".  I was trying to drill into it once and ended up with a hole the size of lake Michigan.  So, we are standing there just irritating the dude in the orange apron and my sister slapped me.  I looked at her and was ready to slap back when she said "we will just put the bolts in the door and HANG it with mirror hooks.  Like a "fakeout" or a "faux bolt".  Whew...I was all over that idea.  People who know me well, know that I HATE to nail, screw, or bolt anything.  It makes me anxious!
 Here are the pictures of the door from the attic, before.

The color was pretty good...not white but not yellow.
A closeup of the bolt.
After we hung it.  Left the black handle on also.
2 more small changes.  I changed out the lamps, and I did purchase the gray quilt from Target.  I have had those lamps for 10 years it seems.  They were in my attic...really!
Here it is...all done.  I am putting yellow caution tape across the door.  Maggie [my sister] said she will kill me if I change another thing!

Kept the original rug.  Took the other one back to IKEA....ever been to IKEA on a Sat?  Don't do it...I think they bus them in.  That was painful.
A little accessory shot....
That is the end of the gray guest room.  Now on to my other guest room.  That is a story for another post!

13 comments

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

Oooohhhh I love how this turned out! Every detail is perfection!

I had a little peek around your site and I love it! I look forward to following along!

Enjoy!
Cathy

maggie said...

OMG this room looks amazing! you NEVER know what u will find in the attic or the basement at Sherry's..enter at your own risk!

Megandvd@Beauty in the Attempt said...

It looks great my dear. I love the door...and even better...I LOVE the Christmas picture. So cute.

Cheers~

A Perfect Gray said...

wonderful. I think it is just right. and doesn't it feel great to be done? or is it the process we crazy people love?

Chats with Jack said...

I love it! Changing the headboard was exactly what the room needed. I'm so glad you have a sister. :-)

Lonnie said...

I found your blog through your neice, I believe. We are in the same sorority, and I LOVE your ideas here!

I am originally from the southwest, living in Athens, with my husband. We are planning to move back to the southwest in the next year or so, and I love your idea of using a door as a headboard! I plan to take one of our 84" inch hardwood doors from our old farm house to use over our king-size bed. Any suggestions on removing the lead paint from the door? (My husband's aunt painting EVERYTHING in our house, what I call, Old Lady Green.)

I look forward to learning more design tips from you!

Lonnie Tuttle-Williams
Athens, GA

Karla@TheClassyWoman said...

Beautiful! The yellow and gray are great against the neutral, taupe wall. LOVE IT!

Debbiedoos said...

I love this style...with your pop of color it really is cozy!

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Oh WOW! I LOVE this!! And the bolt idea is just pure GENIUS!!! (Sadly, I don't have a sister) Love this whole room!! I just found your blog and I am a follower! I will be back!

Lou Cinda :)

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

Love your colors and pattern combinations! This room is total perfection! Thanks for the inspiration.

jonalynn said...

Love the room, especially the black and white pillows. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get them or are they custom?

www.turnuptherad.blogspot.com

Heidi said...

Love the room (and just found it)! Can you tell me where you got the yellow pillows? Thanks!

SHERRY HART said...

They are actually more green...I got them at TJ MAXX.....about 6 months ago.

Back to Top