ONE ROOM CHALLENGE





Week 79.  Just kidding.  

I could probably go that long :)

This might be it for a while but I have to say the room is looking quite pretty with the most important thing being my sweet client is happy.  

Should we review?
Before
One of the first things we did [after the fabric selections] was to create a focal point on this wall.You can see that the picture just did not carry enough weight for the space.  To do that we had to have some light switches moved.  You can see them if you look closely underneath the picture.  It wasn't expensive so don't let that stop you from "greatness" as I say......

With the addition of pillows and throws.  Still have some accessorizing to do on the console but I am pleased with how it is coming along.

Next we addressed the coffee table.  She loves cream but it was just too bright.  We called in the talented Kristen and not only did she fit us in her busy schedule...she worked her magic to give us exactly what we wanted.



A very soft "swedish" blue.  So much better huh?


Next...I worked on the bookshelves.
Here is the before

And the after.....

Working with items she already had plus a few additions.

Sofa before...

And after adding the pillows....

She wanted more cream....so we added it to the sofa instead.  I also removed one of the sofa pillows since there so many...it cleaned it up a little.

I hastily staged the coffee table [and a few other areas for pictures :) ] so that is a work in progress...


Also we had talked about putting a small bench here but she had this so I folded her old throw and put some books on it.



This is another area that needs some loving...

I grabbed a silver tray she had.....yes I rooted through her china cabinet .....Everything looks better on a tray.  Plus we needed a little bling here.
Cut some greenery from her yard.....it is probably dead now so I guess I will go over and remove.  We definitely need some softness here.....

Still waiting for new lamps....

A close up of my favorite accessory......

Found a few old books for the cloche.

The vintage books.....


Tillandsia.....my new favorite plant.

Pillows....

Ok...I think what I learned is to take really BAD "before" pictures and that will make your work seem so much better :)

Somebody asked if my client was there when I did the bookshelves.  NO.  I couldn't do them with someone watching....
It is a process....and you have to keep tweaking...by adding and taking away.  Another thing...I brought in a lot of stuff...some of it makes the cut and some not.  That means I am left with a few things [from flea markets] that I can't return.  That is the nature of the beast.  Planning is key.  I almost always think I have way too much stuff.....but I never do.

A little peek of her backyard....Oh boy......



Just a little more to go on this project.......it has definitely been one of my favorites.

I am not really comfortable with self promotion...."oh really Sherry.....what do you think a blog is?"

Ok...so maybe I am.....
If you live in the Atlanta area you might want to attend this....
Another reason to get my hair done....and maybe buy a new outfit! Don't be scared when you meet me in person...Christina got a little carried away with photoshop on my picture....so try not to gasp.

Busy day....returning...and shopping....my fav.

If I don't say it enough....I really appreciate that you take the time to read my blog...and leave such supportive comments.  

Giveaway coming Friday.

How the hell did we get to Wednesday so fast?

Sheriky






42 comments

Kelly said...

While I love seeing pics of your fantastic design jobs, it is your humor that really keeps me coming back. You have a definite talent for just stating the obvious and laughing at yourself. My youngest leaves for college (5 hrs away) tomorrow and it was nice to smile at your post instead of dwell on my empty nest! Thanks for taking the time to write such a great blog.

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

i look forward to every one of your posts, because i love the voice that comes thru. the living room is lokoing FANTASTIC!!!!!! what a difference a designer makes. i know its totally what she mustve been wanting but needed to make the right changes to make it feel purposeful. you sure did that!

A Perfect Gray said...

enjoyed seeing your total project, sherry. I still say that large mirror made the room. it's hard to figure out why an electrician or contractor (or whoever) would place switches IN THE MIDDLE OF THE WALL. I really like how you encourage us to make small changes like that for a real difference. If you can believe this, my parents, when they redid their kitchen, ran cabinets only part way down a wall because there was AN OUTLET that stopped them. Dudes. MOVE IT, I said, but no go. what's a gal to do?

as always, great advice and great look, sherry. your client is lucky to have had you and we are lucky you share all your goodness and tips with us. donna

My Interior Life said...

Brilliant! Amazing what some strategic changes can make. I agree with Donna - that mirror makes the room. This is why designers are worth their weight in gold. Once again, job well done!!

charmaine said...

Love all the little details! What's up with Atlanta?! Most of my fave bloggers live out there! Must visit soon!

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

You got it Girl! Fabulous spaces...even if it did take 70+ weeks!
You have that special eye!
See you on the 29th!

Kelly said...

Love the final reveal! I like how you edited the room too. I think some rooms look too cluttered. You should always have some negative space in the room. You did a great job. I'm sure your client is happy!

StagerLinda said...

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! I devoured every picture. Your staging is soooo on-spot! Love the vingettes...the window seat with the books and throw...kitchen table...bookshelves...pillows. Love it all. You are so talented, Sherry.

Emily A. Clark said...

Oh goodness how I love your changes to that room. Amazing that doesn't even look like the same sofa. You are too good!

And, I'm really wanting to come to Atlanta is two weeks but not sure it's going to happen :(

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

I always enjoy my visits, Sherry!

I am pinning all these fabulous ideas.

Karen at Home Sweet Hollywood said...

Sherry that room looks fantastic! Your room re-dos always amaze me with how great they look and how you make it look so easy! Talent!!

The Pink Pagoda said...

Is your client just beside herself with happiness? Her room is gorgeous. Spectacular job!

Elizabeth@ Pine Cones and Acorns said...

Oh my goodness this is BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I love it all! I cannot believe what a transformation this is...and so much of it is just small changes.

michele said...

sherry, i honestly think you have brought brilliant improvements to this space. that subtle change to the coffee table? geeeeenius. you're good. and the mirror upgrade? holy s. score again.

my hair is ugly today so thank you for bringing up the subject.

smiles, tres sher.

michele

Cindy said...

Unbelievable! Beautiful! The mirror on that wall is just an amazing change, and the way you accessorized transformed the whole space. I love the basket under the coffee table, and even the dining table, the little changes there made all the difference in the world. Very clever to add the white pillows on the sofa too, love that!

Cindy

Mary Ann Pickett said...

HA! It's true....take bad before photos (that's what I do)...but seriously this is so lovely. Your client muct be so happy. I love to style bookcases...and it takes a while for me. I start by taking everything off first. It helps to have a glass of wine. :)

Lexi Keppel said...

This ORC is by far may favorite! Sherry, I want to tell you that you have an amazing eye but I am worried that you wouldn't want to hear it because you are not into self promotion :) Seriously, that paint job on the coffee table and the styling in the entire room is AMAZEBALLS!

Stacey {steward of design} said...

Great looking room! It's amazing what a little tweaking will do, and I LOVE the mirror.

Jessie said...

The room looks beautiful! I love all the changes and additions you made- the new pillows, coffee table vignette, console table and bookcase styling, everything looks perfect!

Your client must be thrilled. Great job, Sherry!

Enjoy your day!

Jessie
www.mixandchic.com

Unknown said...

Great job,Sherry. You know what I love the best? Those books in the milk glass planter. So simple, so brilliant!

www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

LiveLaughDecorate said...

Sister Sherry, you really killed it here. That mirror was the perfect starting point. You bought so many items and yet you managed to use so many of her existing pieces which maintained the client's personality. Love it all.
Faves: mirror, pillows and additions to the bookshelves.

Mary said...

Beautiful job. But I'm surprised you didn't have your slipcover guy come over to address the sofa. That certainly would have lightened it up. Cheaper than a new sofa.
My home has light switches in the middle of some walls also. I wanted them moved but Mr. Tightwad wouldn't let me have it done. That will probably be one of the first things I fix with his life insurance money.

Woodside Park said...

The room keeps getting better and better, Sherry! My favorite is still the metal mirror. And a fantastic job on the bookcases!
xoxo,
Loi
PS - OMG on the garden :)

An Urban Cottage said...

The prettiest thing in this post is you! Is that photo like 40 years old? 'Cause you look about 20.

Acquired Objects said...

Ok I can't top what Steve just said to you above but you look good girl! Great job on the room and good choice toning the coffee table down. The one thing people need to start doing is think bigger with what's hangin' on the wall!

XX
Debra~

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Simply gorgeous.

Heather Moore Grahling | Vivid Hue Home said...

You crack me up...looking good in week 79, and can't wait for week 100! Hey, a room is never completely finished, right?

The progress looks fabulous! And congrats on the self promotion engagement!

The Vintique Object said...

Sherry, you took good bones and dressed it all up to look fabulous. That mirror is just perfect in the room. You are such a talent. Really. Posts like these are why I love reading your blog.

Now, if I could just tap into that brain of yours...

Camille

Megan said...

so pretty! I love the new look and. Such simple changes and easy changes for such a big impact!

Meg

Belle Inspirations said...

What a fabulous job! Have a lovely day xx

Andrea said...

the room is looking fantastic. Love the bookshelves.

Andrea said...

the room is looking fantastic. Love the bookshelves.

Unknown said...

I love "watching" you work - you did such a fabulous job on this house - The new mirror (and moving the electrical switches) was such a great example of how small changes can make a huge impact. The mirror changes everything in the room. So did the new pillows (and taking out the one). Everything looks great and I can see why your client is happy - you gave her a whole new house! I agree with you about styling bookcases - it is not okay to have someone watch that process and it can be exhausting going back and forth, editing, tweaking and such! I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post and seeing your before and after photos! :D

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

It's so well done. I love how you edit. It was fun watching this room evolve over time. The peak at her garden was fun, too.

Donna-s Lair said...

Love everything..especially the pillows (drooling) and the zebra pillows with throws! TDF!

Unknown said...

i can't get over the books in baskets - love that look! I wish I could go run errands while you worked your magic wand at my house!

Michelle @ Ten June said...

LOVE the focal point mirror you chose, totally perfect. And hello, I would love to come to that event! But probably not a great idea since I'm, oh, about to have this baby, ha! Maybe next time... keep me in mind, I love local stuff like that!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Sheriky, I love what you did with this space with a few changes. It was already such a pretty room with so many great features (the fireplace and built-ins, and the pretty furniture!) but you really pulled it all together. I am eternally amazed at how the details make a space. Thanks for sharing along the way - I enjoyed it so much!

lizziefitz said...

Fantastic job on the room reveal. I can't get over the difference on the coffee table , wow! Kudos:))

pam {simple details} said...

Another FABULOUS job! Your focal point mirror is my favorite, what a beautiful statement now! Off to see if I should 'clean up' my sofa pillows! :)

THE FARMHOUSE PORCH said...

Now following you! What beautiful and inspiring designs. Please enter me in your giveaway, and come visit me sometime♥
Linsey

Linda @ DesignInMyView said...

Sherry, Those books under the cloche are suffocating!

Does this qualify as "cra cra" in your definition? :-)

I like the look of cloches, but only if they're empty or covering cheese.

Cheers!

Back to Top