ONE ROOM CHALLENGE.....ROUND 4








I can still remember the first time Linda got in touch with me to participate in the ORC.

I. Had. No. Clue.

And in my opinion I pretty much failed.  Starting with posting around 3 in the afternoon, which is kind of a no no and not even finishing during the 6 weeks.

Linda took a chance...... invited me again and I think I'm getting the hang of it.  Last time I did the "bunny hutch" which you can see here.

If by some miracle you have just stumbled across Design Indulgence today and you are scratching your head......let me explain.

One Room....6 weeks....start to finish.

Linda from Calling It Home is our CEO and she keeps us marching towards the finish line.

She don't play people...this is serious bizness.

Which is why I changed my mind from renovating my laundry room/office to a dining room makeover.

Marathon or 5K.  Just saying.

Let's get going with a little history of the space starting with 20 years ago.


Details:  The walls are a faux limestone complete with sand on plaster [my house was built in 1946].  We added the columns when we renovated in 1993.  

One of my issues has always been the door in the middle, which leads to the office/laundry room.  

As far as furniture I still have the same chairs which were purchased at Scott's at least 20 years ago along with the table base.  You see a glass top here but that got changed.


This was about 10 years ago.  I changed out the chandelier to one that had been hanging in my kitchen dining area along with the curtains, added a limestone top and a hand painted sisal rug.  You can still see that damn door.  

Thorn.



Then I got a wild hair and painted the base and chandelier cream.  

Mis. Take.


The changes here are cream linen curtains, remove the columns, cheap sisal rug from Ikea which I sprayed white....all this after my floors were painted white.

Here is a close up of the walls.....people that stuff was not coming off.  I used a hand sander with 80 grit paper and it barely budged [knocked off a little sand].  I tried spraying water on it and scraping.  Yeah......that kinda worked but after an hour my arm about fell off.  I am a weak ass DIY girl.


Look....I don't hate the walls but after all this time I am just ready for a change.


That door.  Plans.

And why have I not sprayed the old register white  like I did all the others?  Beats me.  

Here are a few hints of what is coming up.

Change out that  #*^@ door with double french doors which I found at a flea market for $15.00 each.  Perfect size.  I mean perfect.

What to do with the walls....

Cover them baby!

When I started I was NOT going to reinvent the wheel.....but well you know how that goes.  

I got caught up in it and now let's just say "as of today" I'm keeping the chairs.

You know the drill.....more next Wednesday.  

Even though you have a busy day it will be worth it to check out all the other talented designers/bloggers to see what they have planned!



I will pick a winner on Friday for the giveaway.....

Shabooboo



41 comments

therelishedroost said...

I think you will do a great job cant wait to see it finished!

Kris @ Driven by Décor said...

I'm seeing your vision and as always I know you're going to rock it out and create an amazing space!

Abby M. Interiors said...

This is going to be good. SO good. The planked walls are much more *you* and I know I'm going to love it. xx

kate@willowinteriors said...

The walls are going to look amazing!!
Can't wait to see what else you are scheming!! Good luck!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Ohhhhh SO excited!!! The doors…..the wall treatment……it's going to be good Sherry!!!!

Unknown said...

Oh I know it will be so amazing Sherry! Can't wait to see you work your shermagic... xo

Calypso In The Country said...

Sherry, the walls are going to look beautiful! Can't wait!
-Shelley

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Can't wait to see this transformation.

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

Those french doors. Oh the doors! So perfect. It was worth the wait my friend. And the plank walls look beautiful. Get it girl!

Vel Criste said...

I can see why your 'bothered' by that door Sherry. I'm lovin' your plan like all your other plans. Can't wait to see those 'new' doors in place!

Unknown said...

Oh man... those walls are cray! Can't wait to see what you do with the space. The bunny hutch was awesome.

House of Pemberley said...

You crack me up. I love the new doors! They will be so so good.

Jessie said...

I love the plank wall idea! Looking forward to see more next week!

Jessie
www.mixandchic.com

Andrea said...

Oh, wow! You have come up with some excellent solutions to your challenges! And you have such beautiful pieces to work with... this transformation is going to be INCREDIBLE!! I cannot wait to follow along!

XOXO,
The Glam Pad

Ashley said...

Ooooh, I anticipate some really awesome changes here! Can't wait to see the wall transformation!

Albertina M. Cisneros said...

I'm so excited about those french doors! That should make a huge difference. So excited to see the progress.

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

Your ORC rooms are the best! Can't wait to follow along for another one...it's going to be good!

Karen at Home Sweet Hollywood said...

Looking forward to this one, Sherry! Love the ORC :)

Stacey {steward of design} said...

You always do a great job, looking forward to this one too.

Unknown said...

Now this is going to be so fun! I love it & can't wait to see what is looks like at the end. FAB!
xoxo
ashlina
thedecorista.com

Carol@6WilsonBlog.com said...

Giddie with anticipation :-) and dying yo see how you handle the door.

Beth Connolly said...

I'm looking forward to seeing the transformation of this space. The planked walls are a great idea.

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

I am clueless with those walls, good luck on that. It is funny to see how we spend money putting something in (columns) and then taking them out years later. Love ya!

Unknown said...

So wait are you doing plank walls? I love the little time capsule - I think its so interesting to see someone's style evolve through pictures. Looking forward to your kind of awesome!

Carrie said...

Fun seeing how the space transformed over the years. The new doors are very exciting!

Unknown said...

Yup, I like the evolution here. Buh bye faux limestone walls, it's been a good run but it's time for a new look!

mrs. V | Chez V said...

Giddy up girl. That wall treatment will be aces. Can't wait to see you work your magic.

Unknown said...

The walls are going to be amaze and I can't wait to see those doors- salvage doors and windows are my fave!

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

Oh Sherry you are always one of my favorites for entertainment and style. Very excited the "stone" wall are going away and the wood paneling (?) is going up.

pam {simple details} said...

Oooh, I can picture it already with those fabulous planked walls, and I have a feeling you're holding out on us - some incredible fabric somewhere, right? :)

Holly Gruszka said...

You've got something real good cookin' - I know it. Fist pumps.

Unknown said...

Love where you're going with this! And the fun begins!!
Judy G.

Unknown said...

This should be a great challenge! You know Im rooting for you. Best of luck gettin it done! xo Nancy

Tobe | BIA said...

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. how did you manage to find the perfect doors for $15?! sounds like a blessing that you waited this long.

excited to see this space transform. you have big plans!

Casa Vilora Interiors said...

Intriguing! Can't wait to see the progress!

The Pink Pagoda said...

I'm so glad you're doing your dining room! Mine is a sea of mahogany and so tiresome. I want to redo, but am overwhelmed. I'm going to love watching this -- it will be beautiful!

Nichole said...

Oh it's gonna be great! It always is! Can't wait to see the end! I decided to jump in, should be fun!! :D

cindy hattersley design said...

It appears we have gone through the same phases design wise. I am currently painting over those horrible glazed walls in my house...what were we thinking?!!

Unknown said...

Dooooo it. Love your idea for the walls (and the !@#$ door)--can't wait to see more!

Cindy said...

Ha! Can't wait to see!

Cindy

Home said...

Who makes the cream linen curtains in your picture above? I love them and have been searching for weeks looking for that exact thing.
Thank you!

Back to Top