DARK HOUSES





Well here we are.....halfway through summer.  Hard to believe I know.  Color me happy because I am definitely looking forward to fall.

So I don't feel like I have to take 2 showers a day to feel fresh.  Just saying.

A few years ago when I decided to paint the exterior of my house white.... the only other color I was thinking of using was black or a really dark gray.  I think I might have gone there but only if I could have put on a cedar shake roof.....that wasn't happening:)  In my opinion I love wood tones with a dark color....that is a whole other post!

I pulled some dark exteriors to show you how good it can look.

Or you might just say....Sherry has definitely lost it.  And I would say yes....years ago though.

Let's start with some black ones.





Scandinavian Exterior by Montreal Photographers Jean Longpré

I love the brick fireplace....same thought as adding some pretty wood tones for contrast.

Transitional Exterior by Toronto Photographers Peter A. Sellar - Architectural Photographer

Contemporary Exterior by Vancouver Architects & Building Designers site lines architecture inc.

Check out this one and see the before under it!

Modern Exterior by Bloomington Architects & Building Designers Matte Black Architecture

So "ho hum" before right!
Modern Before Photos by Bloomington Architects & Building Designers Matte Black Architecture

Traditional Exterior by Victoria Architects & Building Designers jodi foster design + planning


One of my favorites especially with the metal roof.
Transitional Exterior by Asheville Design-Build Firms Carlton Architecture

Again..the stone and garage door looks great with the dark exterior.
Contemporary Exterior by Brooklyn Architects & Building Designers Actual Size Projects

Let's explore a really dark gray.  I like the green doors and white trim.

Traditional Garage And Shed by Palo Alto Architects & Building Designers helena barrios vincent aia leed ap

Transitional Exterior by Seattle Design-Build Firms RW Anderson Homes


LA designers Nickey Kehoe Inc.
BM Iron Mountain

Interior designer Laura Clayton Baker
SW Peppercorn


 Farrow & Ball's Off-Black is a favorite of designer/fabricators MADE LLC in New York. Photograph via Farrow & Ball.

 Ike Kilgerman Barkely

Style at Home



In case you get all brave this weekend I found some good paint colors on Remodelista.
Above: Top row, left to right: Benjamin Moore Sag Harbor Gray; ICI Grey Hearth; Dunn-Edwards Vulcan; Benjamin Moore Graphite; Benjamin Moore Bear Creek. Bottom row: Benjamin Moore Iron Mountain; Benjamin Moore Gravel Grey; Sherwin-Williams Peppercorn; Farrow & Ball Down Pipe; and Benjamin Moore Graystone.



Farrow Ball Off Black-57
Door-Blue Ground 210


 Leslieville.org

And here are some great dark colors for your pinning pleasure....

551 East Design


Pinterest

Bynum Design
(1) SW Sealskin, (2) SW Black Fox, (3) RH Flint, (4) BM Wrought Iron, (5) BM Kendall Charcoal, (6) BM Jet Black.

BM Witching Hour

Who's in?

Finally while Cami was at Dog Days for the day I got to change out my pillows!

Still trying to work on my bookcases....it might be fall before I get time to tackle those:)

Alrighty....happy 4th of July to all of you!  I am one of the few who has no plans whatsoever.....and I am gonna roll with it.

Shachillin






13 comments

KATHYSUE said...

Love the almost black with lots of white trim, stunning. No plans here for the 4th other than I am making potato salad, YUM!! Keep safe and cool, xoxo

michele said...

happy 4th, sherry! i love dark houses and these paint colors which seem sophisticated and not easily identified as blue or grey. those are always my favs. do nothing tomorrow, and do it with style! i will be with some fancy people in a fancy setting and will be nodding and smiling, all the while imagining in my head how to paint a scratched up pergo bedroom floor white and how i will ever get used to living in a house that smells like a zoo. but then there will be fireworks! peace.

Kim said...

Love the round up of dark colors ... #2 SW Black Fox is my new favorite!! It graces my bedroom walls and I couldn't be happier!! Now to consider going dark outside ... hmmm ... Have a happy 4th!

Mary Beth at www.mbzinteriors.com said...

Everyone and every thing looks better in black, love it! and I love the lime green trims and doors on some of them.

Karena said...

Sherry I do love the charcoal or black with white trims and doors. Very striking and sophisticated!!Have a great 4th of July weekend!

xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena
Gallery Opening!

Mary Ann Pickett said...

Love your new pillows, of course!!!! Happy Fourth!

therelishedroost said...

Love these choices I used Kendall charcoal on my outdoor bar cabinets and I love it! I used Tavern Charcoal on island in kitchen and may use for exterior doors I love it that much! Always love your picks! xo K

Christy Spearman said...

This is exactly how i want our lake camp painted - dark charcoal or navy with a tin roof and a yellow front door! Love it!

Vel Criste said...

It is beautiful especially with the wood tones, but still too daring for me! We are thinking of painting our brick house white someday, but maybe going dark would be too much for us especially it's our first time doing that!

mapleleavessycamoretrees said...

One of my absolute favorite houses is this "cabin" (i.e. gorgeous new-build) in the mountains that has three "sections" of house and each one is a different color and material. On the far right (garage side) is that very dark gray/black board and batten, the middle is white lap (with white shakes on the upper story) and on the left is a medium gray shake. It's glorious. I know you'd love it. It's totally the exact house I would build right now if I was building. Anyway...just had to share that with another white/black/gray lover. ;) Have a good day, Sherry!

Anonymous said...

We are starting on our home tomorrow in BM’s After Midnight with white trim. These photos are reinforcing our decision! Thanks!! -Casey

Adam said...

Sometimes some part of walls looks good in black color too but we have to choose which part or area it suited perfect for that color.


Durable Paints Nepal

Advanced Paints Nepal

Anonymous said...

Hi. What sheen do you prefer? Mid-paint on the exterior of my house with wrought iron, and I love the color but think the low-lustre is too shiny. Thoughts? Thanks.

Back to Top