BATHROOM RENOVATION PLANS








In an effort to stay busy and keep my mind occupied I am diving into work.  You know that whole "idle mind" .....well it's a  bad thing on a normal basis but throw in a crisis and it can be downright crippling right?

So....I have a project in Boulder and it's not a flip!  Kind of exciting but it means I can't just run over and see if a wallpaper matches.  My "ground crew" has been very helpful sending me pictures and measurements to get me started.

Let's start with some pictures of the basement bath which is the room we are starting with.











OK....let's discuss.

He would like to keep the vanity and countertop.  So....I wracked my brain thinking of a way to do this.  The stone does have some dark gray in it which is a good thing because I wasn't feeling how black looked with it.  My thought is that the stone is very "loud" so it needed a little softening.


When I saw the penny tile mixed with the gray of this stone from The Tile Shop I felt I was on to something.  I could use that on the shower floor to bring the color of the countertop in the room somewhere else....


So here was my first plan....dark and moody.  I love the sconces with the smoky glass [Circa Lighting] against the Innovations wallpaper.  The hardware is from Rocky Mountain and the mirror from RH.  I love mixing the metals of brass and pewter.....

But if this is too dark for him I changed up the wallpaper to something lighter.


Only thing different is this Lindsay Cowles paper which I love!

OK....let's just say I could talk him into changing out the countertop.....I mean it seems like such a minor thing right:)  I can be pretty persuasive...haha.


A black top would change the whole game right?  The mirror is RH.  The wallpaper is Phillip Jeffries and lighting from Circa.  Hardware is Rocky Mountain.

But then.....
I couldn't let it go and thought what if the stone top was lighter?

This might be my favorite with the patterned floors.  The mirror is RH.  Lighting is Circa and the hardware is Rocky Mountain.  Tile is from The Tile Store.

So....favorite?  Keep the countertop?   Change to black or the stone....I really like all of them.

I will definitely keep you posted on this one.

I was invited to speak on a panel with a few of my fav designer friends at Mitchell Gold on Sunday night.  I met Justin Williams years ago through my friend Erika Ward....


He put together a group of us to inspire "youngsters" that want to get into the design business....it was so fun to feel the excitement that only comes with youth:)  Eager to soak up all the knowledge....although I told them that even after 25 years in the design business I am still learning....

I think it's good emotional practice to be in social situations when you are feeling one way on the inside but projecting "all things are fine" on the outside.  You can only wear the victim outfit for so long.....you know?

Hope you guys are having a good week....

Shayfab







21 comments

Anonymous said...

I don't care for the counter top myself, but to each their own. It's fantastic that you have all these projects to keep you busy because I truly feel that helps in healing.

You look fabulous in that picture, bravo.

Anonymous said...

That guy would be crazy if he didn't go for the final grouping with the stone counter. I love it, (and that floor tile!!!) so much I sent it to my husband as we are doing our bathroom as well.

Allison said...

I didn't like the countertop until I saw what your plans were!
So impressive that you are productive while going through a very challenging time.
You may find someday that this was a blessing in disguise.
I am SO proud of you!!

Judith said...

I'm glad you have the project and are looking forward to it. There are many people who would be thrilled to have a bathroom as nice as that one is now.

Ann said...

I love the last one with the light counter, but then the "dark and moody" is kind of sexy!

Mary Ann Pickett said...

You look beautiful...so chic. Great ideas for the bathroom!!

sjudge said...

Lighter wall paper - penny floor makes cents (lol) - countertop looks like cottonwoods in the fall, so I like it. And remember, you were the first "keeper," while your predecessor got sold to the gypsies (OK, very nice and very rich gypsies).

Melissa S said...

First, although you may not be feeling it on the inside you look beautiful in that photo.

Although that countertop would not be something I’d choose, I think it works for a masculine/Rocky Mountain house. I’m assuming this bath is not frequently used ( basement) so the dark, moodiness of number 1 works beautifully. I also like option 3 and 4. The only one I don’t love is option 2. I feel like the CL wallpaper competes too much with that countertop. Wondering if the PJ wallpaper works with the existing countertop, maybe use option 3 but with existing countertop. You’ve pulled together some great options!

haverfordmom said...

Sherry -
You are not a victim - you are a victor!!! You will be better than ever, believe it!

I actually love the 1st option which I normally wouldn't go that way. Whatever you wind up with will be fab!

Shelly said...

Oh gosh, let me just come out and say it, the whole bathroom needs a refresh and who would choose that countertop? I don't care what you do it will still be staring at you in the face every friggin day. SO MUCH BROWN...
Go work your magic!

June Pope said...

Sheri, since you asked, I like the third option (love that mirror) but with the lighter counters from the last option. I had black counter tops in an apartment kitchen once and hated them. You clean them up real nice and dust in the air falls on them within just a few minutes. Can’t imagine them in a bathroom with toothpaste and shaving cream.
I’m so glad you’re keeping up with your normal (?) life and obligations but I hope you’re still taking some time for yourself. I remember a time when getting up in the morning and even talking to people just wore me out. Give yourself permission to ‘let it all out’
occasionally and breathe. You didn’t deserve what happened to you and you have so many fine people in this space pulling for you, praying for you and wishing you only the best! Take good care!

Gail Storti said...

You look simply beautiful and so happy you’ve been keeping busy doing what you love. I think all of the design boards are wonderful, however I’m partial to the last two and changing out the countertop. It seems that instead of enhancing and adding to the beauty of the room, it stands out a bit too much And that’s all you see. Whichever way you go, it’ll be fabulous!

Karen said...

Definitely change out the counter top. The whole scheme has to be based on that and its out dated even though you made it work.
The iterations with new counters are fresh and updated. If they are putting the expense into everything else its really not much more to change out the counter , it makes sense and they would not regret it. They might regret NOT doing it!

Good Luck!

Shelly said...

Wow! So many amazing options for the bathroom. My faves are the black counters and the light counters. Which ever design he chooses will be a winner. Sending you wishes for strength and inner peace during this challenging time.

Anonymous said...

you are doing great on the outside.. fake it till you make it (not a bad thing to live by). now on to the bathroom. i would lose the countertop and keep the flooring. i just can't see you loving that brown busy countertop and the floor is already good.. easier to replace counter .. but if you do keep it the style board you put together looks great..

Anonymous said...

Your ideas for the existing counter top are "Genius". Although my preference would be changing the counter top and going with the new dark counter top.

kim at northerncalstyle. said...

Sherry so glad you are getting out and getting some fun and recognition. All of these are beautiful, but the last one is gorgeous!! Always worth changing out the counter. I just did that and so glad I did. I think it's fun to see these more masculine materials. I did them in my boy's bath and it's one of my favorite spaces. Keep getting out and stay busy. Hugs, Kim

Melinda said...

These are great options for him to choose. I'm hoping you'll take on my bathroom renovation. I've sent you an email.

Anonymous said...

I suppose a lot of people will think I'm weird to make this statement, but I happen to really like a stone surface that has a lot of movement in a kitchen or bathroom. If someone wants to have a plain-Jane work-top, they may as well have Formica installed. I've seen that particular stone before and was very impressed that someone wanted to go a different route with their decor. Your first selection for the changes are spot on and your client is a lucky guy to have someone of your caliber to guide him with his reno and to help him keep what he wishes to remain. Regardless of the final choices, I know the reveal will be superb. Who knows? Perhaps he'll want you to re-do his entire home.
All the best to you for staying busy during your personal crisis.

barbara said...

Au Revoir Counter Top! In the end, it will still be a cool bathroom with a bad counter. Lipstick on a pig. I must say that you did a brilliant job making it work though. Seriously, if anyone could doll up that counter it is you. Hope they trust you and let you have your way.
Glad you went to that event. It can be helpful to put ourselves out there when we don't want to. Still praying for you Sherry!

Dian Owens said...

My first choice is the design with the light counter, but I also like the moodiness of the first one with the penny tile. Whatever you do will be fab! You look marvelous!

Back to Top