A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A DESIGNER ALONG WITH A BEFORE AND AFTER.....




Yesterday was a hard day at work.  Yes I know I'm not curing cancer but still.....

I was happy to finally install these curtains since the fabric was backordered for months!  I got there with my acrylic rods and gold hardware all excited to see these navy blue silk babies go up and it was like trying to squeeze into your favorite jeans after the holidays.  They were too small.....meaning they were too short.

What!  No come on let's measure again....huh....nooooooooo.  Are you kidding me?  Call workroom....blah blah blah.  Bottom line.....my fault.  Scratching head....how the heck did this happen?  I have been measuring windows for 20 years people...... #apparentlynotgoodatmath  #epicfail

I am not usually this emotional but I started crying.  My installer gave me a look that said "toughen up girl" and that did not help at all.

So these windows are still bare.  


In other news.....I was happy with how the porch turned out!

This had been a 6 month project adding on to the back of the house with a new porch and 2 car garage.


The Lee Industries outdoor furniture had been delivered along with the Dash and Albert rug.


 We wanted coffee tables that would double as seating.....

So we ordered 2 of these ottomans from Ballard Designs.



Perfect.

Added some pillows....big surprise there huh:)






I wanted to get some nice bushy plants but it is so cold here in Atlanta that wasn't going to work!

As I was driving back to my workroom with the curtains in my trunk I stopped for a nice nutritious lunch.  I am nothing if not resilient


It's all going to be OK......I was probably more disappointed than my client.  She was so understanding.

And life goes on right?

Shamathwiz :)

 




24 comments

Mary said...

I have always wondered how you folks in the South keep furniture in a screened-in-porch? Doesn't it get wet when it rains? And occasionally you get a little bit of snow. So how do you protect it?

Calypso In The Country said...

Oh well, things happen... The porch looks gorgeous though and I love those ottomans and the Dash and Albert! Enjoy your weekend!
Shelley

Emily A. Clark said...

Listen, if you gave me a ceiling that looked like that, I wouldn't even care about the curtains!

whalingcitycottage said...

This dining room is already bananas. And you were right to consult Pringles on this crisis.

Elizabeth@ Pine Cones and Acorns said...

So sorry about your curtain problem, but I will say that there is nothing a good cry doesn't fix. I am sure it felt good. The room and the porch look fabulous! You are so incredibly talented! Have a great weekend.

Lisa Mende said...

I'm with Emily, that ceiling is gorg! The room will be beautiful. Just add a big band of grey silk at the bottom and call it a day! So fab! Your work is stunning!

Mary Ann Pickett said...

I agree with Lisa about a silk band...you may even like it better. Beautiful porch, feels like a fancy tree house.

Unknown said...

Exactly what the wise Emily Clark said above!!!! LOVE that ceiling!!!! And the porch - fabulous!!!
xo~Jill

PS - Pringles help everything!

Leslie Harris said...

this project is looking so amazing...hey we all have days like that--one suggestion: wine instead of Pringles?
xo
Leslie

Kathysue said...

Sherry it looks beautiful and I am so sorry about the draperies. I remember I use to hold my breath every time a drapery job was being installed. It is no fun when the mistake is on the designer. I know you will come up with a clever fix because you are one creative lady. Hopefully you did a double 4 in. hem and maybe you can attach to lining and gain 6-7 in. if the silk does not have needle and thread marks. Good luck sweet lady and look at all you did RIGHT, you are allowed a mistake once in awhile and it is all fixable. Happy weekend,
Kathysue

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

So sad about those curtains. I had that happen and it was the workroom's fault three times in a row! The porch is gorgeous!!!

mollie's mom said...

That dining room is fab with that ceiling!! Whenever the window treatments are straightened out it will just be better :) And the porch is perfection!! Those ottomans and all the fabrics. Nailed it!

Barbara Moore said...

This, too, shall pass. EVERYONE can make a mistake. Hate that it happened, but it's fixable and the curtains will be perfect while hanging in your fabulous room. The porch is stunning! I love their brick. Any chance you can pass on the make/color?

Tracey Morris said...

Sherry, Thanks for all your posts, good days and bad. I have only been in the design business for 5 years and you teach me with every post. It is the worst feeling when the mess up is on you. Thanks for sharing how it feels. The dining room looks great!

Team Powers said...

Looks amazing. Where are those dining room captain chairs from? Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. What is the gorgeous wall color in the dining room?

Pink Camellias said...

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry to hear about the curtains. Could you add a small panel at the bottom? Make it look intentional?

Anonymous said...

I enjoy your blog but please do not be flippant about cancer. Decorating used within the context of curing cancer is an insult to the individuals, children and families that have had to endure such a diagnosis.

Merlyn Corcoran said...

Did you have your installer put up the rods anyway so that you could get an accurate measurement? Just asking because I see them propped in the corner of the room.

Holly Gruszka said...

But that dining room is gorgeous Sherry!!! I can't imagine the feeling though when realizing they were too short - that's real life though as you said. And the porch is gorgeous - love the new Americana feel going on.

Lianna@theresnoplacelikehomemke.com said...

OMG that is terrible! I feel for you. I recently was making my own curtains and thought I had them too long - so I ended up cutting the top so I could do a new hem and realized I was wrong and ruined a whole panel with a cut through! I cried too :)

Liz said...

What is the name of the wallpaper? And where can I get it? It is so beautiful. The best use of wallpaper on a ceiling I have ever seen.

G Hosford said...

I'm totally late to the game, but I would LOVE to know the name of the wallpaper! It is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

So sorry about the curtains!
The dining room looks beautiful. I would love to use that wall paper on my dining room ceiling.
Where did you get it? And what does it call?
TIA

Back to Top