IS SHABBY CHIC DEAD?




We will get to that question in a minute....

Finished cleaning the condo which was about as fun as a sharp stick in the eye. 


Everyday was a new list of things to do and replace.  

We had to interview a new cleaning service....which happens to be one of the biggest thorns in my side about rental property.  
I can't be there to personally inspect after and make sure my guest find a clean home.

  AND.... as a designer I WANT MY PILLOWS IN THE CORRECT PLACE.  

Is that too much to ask?

Apparently so.  Every time I get there it is "pillow chaos" and I get slightly annoyed.

While I was out shopping for cleaning supplies I found myself in a thrift store.....funny how that happens :) and stumbled upon a sofa that would be perfect for the condo.

The one we have is as comfortable as a bed of nails. 

Actually I found 2 that would work.

This one was in great condition....300.00.  
It was sleeper though which I have had before.   Not a fan.  Plus used mattress....yuk. 

It was a pretty good match with my pillows.

But then I saw another one that was 250.00 and on sale for......175.00!  Are you kidding me?

For real.  So I got it.

I know what you're thinking....WHITE?  
In a rental property.  
You are a crazy girl.

Yep....people have actually used that word to describe me.    
See that orange blanket on top....it can be used as a big throw.  

For that price I can get it cleaned every year.

OK....on to the reason of this post.

I walked into this store one afternoon.  Sounds like I was doing a lot of shopping huh?  
What can I say.


They had some of the prettiest painted furniture.  

Unusual pieces that in their original condition I might have looked at and thought...nah.


I love how they added a new top to this one.



I was very impressed with his work.
You know what I love....a modern room with one cool painted shabby piece in it.

Or maybe just bleach it and paint the hardware?


 Make a new top for a nice iron base.  
I need somebody to do stuff like this.

So the answer to the question is no.

Any ONE of those pieces could fit in a room like this......just one to stand out..."capish"?

Of course I got all inspired and wanted to paint something but then I got back and had one of these....


Which is pretty refreshing after a hard day of cleaning shopping.                                             And all gumption flew out the window.

We drove home yesterday and while I was looking at magazines, not paying attention, I heard my husband say these words...."I think I made a wrong turn because this does not look familiar".  

WHAT?
As my head snaped up. 

 Yup....it was true and it took us an hour longer.  So I had to drop the magazine reading and pay attention.  Another thing is that my husband gets sleepy the minute he gets behind the wheel.

He starts yawning every five minutes [big noisy ones] unless I entertain him by looking up strange things like why walrus have grizzly whiskers...

Guess what?

I am participating in the One Room Challenge again!

It starts this Wednesday and you can go here to find out how to link up! 


Linda from Calling It Home has rounded up a very talented group.....like how I included myself in that :)......to complete this challenge and I can't wait.

Better check in on Wednesday to see what is happening.

Sunday....Monday....yep.  You better enjoy every second of this day.

Sherikyfreaky






25 comments

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

What is it with cleaning people "redecorating"? I had one person that put my my rugs in the opposite direction every time.

I will be here Wednesday looking for your genius.

stephanie at Stephanie Kraus Designs said...

Love the shabby pieces you found! We too have a rental property and I feel your pain but your place will def look a lot more snazzy with the new sofa!

Beth @A Little Country House said...

I am so glad you said that about the painted furniture. I thought I was a gonner for minute....Love Ya!

Vel Criste said...

I feel for you, but I agree the second sofa works better, looks sturdier is pretty with any pillows! Excited to see what you come up with for ORC! I'm linking up with the party too!

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Have you ever been on ADD meds?? Delightful...but my head is spinning, you are so funny the way you hop from one thought to the next!

Great deal by the way!! White all the way. Just bleach the heck out of it!

Jessie said...

Love the interesting pieces you found from Shabby Chic boutique. Looking forward to see your ORC room!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Jessie
www.mixandchic.com

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

Any one of those pieces would look good in a dressed up room!
They are great!

Anonymous said...

I had my first-ever Lime-a-rita last week and was quite impressed. Nice buzz in that little can.

I think shabby-chic will always have a place in home décor.

If you have ADD as one writer suggests, so do I. Keep on keeping on, Sherry. We love it.

The enchanted home said...

OK now I am totally craving a lime a rita...never knew of this, but how brilliant!!!

I think the shabby antiqued furniture is right and gorgeous for some houses but not for all. You found some great pieces!

Cindy said...

Check out those white exposed beams... wow!
Those thrift store sofas were good finds! I love it when that happens... and good advice on the Shabby Chic vibe. I used to be all roses and lace... still lace... but the roses have left the building, except maybe one. I've learned alot about what looks and feels good from watching you and my other blogger friends. Thanks to you i discovered that i love stripes! and who knew i would love zebra skin rugs, still trying to figure out how to work one into my decor...still have pink lampshades though.. smile...

Cindy

Anonymous said...

I am cracking up! I just got home from work Fri and was screaming about why my cleaning crew have to move everything & not put it back the way I had it!! Drives me nuts! For me, the curtains hanging all sloppy is the worst! Then I couldn't stop laughing at your comment about having to entertain your husband while he's driving...lol! Oh, I can so relate! God forbid I close my eyes for 5 seconds....and he's always asking me to google something..HA! Good stuff!
Heidi
Nuburylane

Karen at Home Sweet Hollywood said...

What a great score on the sofa! Looks fantastic. Yes, pillow chaos is not good for a designer.

Excited about ORC...love that stuff!

Taylor Greenwalt said...

shoot...my head is spinning and I don't know where to start...love the sofa and what a deal! So many great painted pieces and cant wait for ORC...had to give Linda a plug...but seriously...does the hubby have sleep apnea? That would worry me!

Lisa Gabrielson said...

I have driven by that place hundreds of times, but the name kept me from going in. Thanks for sharing your finds! Welcome home!!

Kim said...

How funny, I was just complaining about my housekeepers. I love them, they clean really well ... but they do weird things. Like tying my curtains up in knots. They are SILK ... they don't want to be tied in knots. And then the pictures are always a little askew, like they want to prove they were cleaned. First World Problems as my daughter would say! Love your finds! xo

Leslie said...

I like the second sofa and I know what you are saying about the cleaning folks.. It seems like I pay too much and get less as time as gone on. We have one rental property and when we changed tenants last month I had a bit of a run in with the cleaning crew. They were late and trying to charge me for less time than they had originally. What an irritating morning that was! As far as Shabby Chic goes, I think the original style has changed over the years. It seems a little more rustic and less cup cake-like (does that make sense?;)

Kirby Carespodi said...

I'm finding that I can sell shabby pieces, but as accent pieces. I wouldn't do a whole dining room in it. And it's not as feminine as it used to be.

Lissa said...

I can so identify with the pillow chaos. I even leave them pics to show them how it is supposed to look.
Look at pic A then do the same on my sofa, bed or chair. NOT that complicated! There IS a METHOD TO OUR MADNESS :)

Unknown said...

I had pillow anger too! My good down stuffed cheetah sofa pillows, left outside on the patio, bogue.

I've been in that store. I thought it was a little pricey.

Our husbands are related, no question.

xoxo
jennifer@vreelandroad

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

You crack me up. So glad you are doing the ORC again. Thanks for the mention. I don't think that drink is gluten free, so I'm out at happy hour. I'll bring the wine.

Privet and Holly said...

Funny, my husband
is the same way when
we drive and I've got
to keep scintillating
conversation flowing!

Love your advice about
the ONE shabby piece. I
totally agree.

Thank you for your kind
words on my recent post.
You have a heart of gold : )

xo Suzanne

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

My husband will drive but then whine for hours after that he's so tired because he drove. Almost makes it not worth it. Almost.

designchic said...

Count us in as the crazy ones that have a white sofa in a beach house - it just fits and like you, we figure we can clean when needed...don't work too hard!!

Heather Moore Grahling | Vivid Hue Home said...

love that you'll be doing this again this year! I'm going to be joining in as a linker.

Lisa Mende Design said...

I love the ORC and enjoyed participating once but never got asked to participate again...i must have failed! LOL! oh well, Linda always does a great job of who she asked and I enjoy watching from the sideline! I always love what you do!! Go Girl for helping your Sis!

Back to Top