UNITED METHODIST CHILDREN'S HOME





I am so excited to be involved with Room Service again this year. Erika and Dayka have done another great job to find a program that needs support.  This time it is United Methodist Children's Home in Decatur, Georgia.



It is an independent living program for youth in the foster care program.  The building we are working on this year houses boys 17-21.  There is a team of talented local designers who will give their time, money and hard work to give them a place to call home.

I met Dayka over there the other day to preview my room....
It is actually a general space to them to hang out in and watch TV.


See all this paneling I have to get painted......


If you remember last year, I had one of the biggest rooms......and this year I took a mouthful also!  But...got my sidekick Jan on board again :)  Here she is last Halloween!

Not sure what I am going to do with these yet....

So....this one is a little quicker than last year...the install is the week of October 22!  Holy guacamole.....I better get my butt in some high gear....giddy up!

If you want to help by sending me a small donation: 25.00 [I have no shame] it would help me rock this space for those boys!

Here is my address:
711 Darlington Rd
Atlanta, Ga.  30305

***I do have a Pay Pal account attached to this email address:
sherryhdesigns@mac.com***

Thanks so much and if you have any questions, please email me direct.

Oh yeah...here is the plan that was picked for the bedroom makeover...


Cowgirl Sherika




19 comments

An Urban Cottage said...

Good for you! Do you have a paypal account?

michele said...

this is fantastic, sherry!

any color scheme in mind--will you need any art from a quirky soul with a heart for children?

you rock.

michele

LiveLaughDecorate said...

Sending money to someone you only know online is serious fodder for major heartbreak - or at the very least, a segment on "things stupid people should never do!" But when that someone is Sherry Hart, well, all bets are off. Ask and you shall receive lady. You guys in Atlanta are my design heroes and these annual projects are an amazing way of giving back. I wish I could do more. Good luck and can't wait to see the final reveal. p.s. we have an amazing fabric store here with great finds from $1 to $10 a yard. Lemme know if you need some fabric and I can send some as well.

Unknown said...

Sherry,

Don't know if you are keeping the crate furniture or not but FYI, I purchased this for my family room when my kids were young and it wears like iron! I painted mine with black oil paint and did the cushions in animal print a few years ago. It now resides with my children. I do however have a large corner desk unit and chair that have not been painted that you are welcome to if they would be of any use. Love your blog.

Unknown said...

Can't wait to see what you do Sherry!!!!

Acquired Objects said...

I just sent my donation along and you should tell people if they're going to use paypal to make sure it's a gift so you don't get hit with charges on your end. The boys need a relaxing space to hang out in and I know you'll give it to them!

XXX
Debra~

Unknown said...

Bravo Sherry, I love that you are 'giving back'. I will send you a donation for sure, and hope I can do something this good for others someday. Best of luck on this project.
xo Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

Carla Aston | CarlaAston.com/DESIGNED said...

What a fun project...and for a great cause! You are amazing. Can't wait to see what creative things you do with the space.

Unknown said...

Love to help with such a wonderful cause. You and your sidekick are amazing! Hope the $$ helps.

A Toile Tale said...

Sherry -
I have the UM Children's Home in m;y heart, too. My Women's Ministry Group has given the kids there a prom for the last several years. It is so much fun to see these children get all dressed up and party. It is such a blessing to work with them. Thank you for making such a difference in their lives.
Linda @ A Toile Tale

Lexi Keppel said...

Sending you $ for this project Sherry. I think you are wonderful for sharing your talents. I am a SAHM now, but in my former life I was a social worker who worked with teens in group home settings exactly like this. Though that furniture is depressing from a design perspective, it is extremely practical for these young men. I have seen first hand how hard they can be on furnishings. I will strongly suggest that you focus on practicality and durability in this project. These boys don't care about home decor trends and pretties, they want comfortable and something that feels like it was made for them... boys and young men who are calling this place home. I can't wait to see what you come up with :)

Lexi

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

Great worthwhile project. Will be looking forward to all the wonderful things you do the space.

Andrea said...

You are awesome! Just sent you a donation. I love that you are giving your time and talent to help these boys. God Bless You!

The enchanted home said...

Bravo to you Sherry! What a wonderful and kind way to give back to those in need. I will absolutely make a donation, going to find out how now.

Taylor Greenwalt said...

What a wonderful thing to do and such a good cause.

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Best of luck painting all that paneling. I've done it and it takes a lot of time but is so worth it in the end. Great project!

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

wow, reading backwards here, post wise, the MG+BW donation is fabulous and I know you will do this room proud. What a wonderful cause, you are amazing. Janell

Kim said...

Oh Sherry! I am catching up on my favorite blogs and just reading about your wonderful gift here! I am heading over to donate (I truly hate on-line money stuff because I am not very good at figuring it out!! ) But will try and if it doesn't work ... will email you separately!! You rock for doing this! xo

The Vintique Object said...

Ooo. I cna't wait to see you work your magic on this space! you got my buck.
Camille

Back to Top