Speaking of pillows

Well, here are the pictures of the pillow I designed for "Pillow Talk".  We were supposed to design a trendy pillow.  Well if we had all done that then there would have probably been 5 "chevron" pillows up there :)
I decided to base my design on one of the greats Ralph Lauren.  Trendy for him is classic which explains why his fashions always stand the test of time.  Another thought I had was to use something recycled.  Off I went to Goodwill.

What I found was a great heather wool jacket.  If I was to purchase wool by the yard it would have been $50-100 @yard.  The jacket was $4.59.  Since there was not enough to do both sides I used part of a left over heavy Belgium flour sack.  The other 2 elements of the pillow were new.
Let's get to the pictures.

Here is the jacket I started with.

Since there was a seam running up the back we needed an insert to make it big enough for an 18" pillow.  Here is a picture of the elements of the pillow.  On top is the trim, then the back, the wool and last was some scrim.


And here are some pictures of the finished pillow

I think the trim really helped tie it all together.

This shows the back.
So of course I thought my pillow would look lonely and I wanted to do a mood board around it.  I fought that urge and just painted an old frame, covered some core board with fabric and threw on a sample of one of my favorite Schumacher wallpapers.
I was invited to participate in this with 4 other very talented design bloggers.  Dayka of Life and Style, Erica of BluLabel Bungalow, Capella of A Curated Lifestyle, and Kari of Buy Well, Buy Once.  Everyone put a lot of thought in their designs and I think they all even sewed theirs.  IF I had sewed mine it would have looked like something made when I was 7 in vacation bible school.  I knew better.  There were no rules just that the pillow had to be 18".

Here are the other pillows.
This was Erica's, and I am so going to try this.  She made the rosettes and I loved the organic feeling of it.
Next to Erica's was Kari's.  It was a pink velvet and she made the overlay from strips or organza.  It had a dark navy background.  Capella's was next and I think this one had a really playful look to it.  She said her sewing machine broke so she sewed it by hand.  Youth.  So innocent.  I don't care if it was in the middle of the night and it was due at 6 AM....my ass would have been at the fabricators banging on the door like a lion was chasing me.
The last one was Dayka's.  She also recycled by using a scarf with a pretty navy background.  My observation was that Erica's and mine could have been used in the same room [similar colors], and the other 3 were almost co-ordinated!  How funny is that?

Here is a picture of the scariest part...

Yep...we had to TALK.  Now you might think because I teach fitness classes that I would be used to this.  Yes and no.  I have no problem with a microphone.....but when I am talking in class at the gym people are busy looking at themselves in the mirror :)  After I gave the pillow "talk" I sat down and the moderator had to say "Sherry...what about your blog?".......Up I stood to finish [whoops forgot why I was there].  Here is a little secret.  We had gotten to the mart early to go though some showrooms and I made the mistake of having a small [really] glass of wine.  Whoo...I was loopy! I wanted to grab the mic and audition for American Idol.  "I believe I can fly......."

By the way, here is the name of the workroom who fabricated my pillow.  Home Accent.  Her name is Sudi Rafizadeh.  She does incredibly beautiful work and also shows her creations at Scott's in the South building.

Hope your week is going well.  Pictures of Scott's on Friday!


34 comments

Abby M. Interiors said...

I LOVE it! The texture and trim push it over from nice to fantastic!

Thanks for the nice comment on my pillow. :-)

Anonymous said...

OMG, you always make have a funny take on everything you do...I gotta be more like that!
...love your pillow, trendy? I think it's a classic that can/will stand the test of time...it gorgeous...
maureen

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Great looking pillow, love that you made it out of an old jacket! You ladies are busy down there in Atlanta, I must come for a visit!! Janell

bluehydrangea said...

Sherry,
Your pillow is fabulous!! Love it!! And I really love that it is made out of an old jacket...this whole pillow talk was a great idea!

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

I really like yours and Erika's pillows! And you are so funny! I so widh I could have been there!

My Interior Life said...

So creative!! I love your pillow and the others as well. And you're hilarious. I wish I could've heard your rendition of "I believe I can fly." I would pay good money for that.

Joyce said...

I really like your pillow! The colors texture and reusing is so neat! xo

Tammy@InStitches said...

Sounds like a really fun day. Your pillow looks pretty and so well made. (note to self: Don't drink before my blogging talk next month!)
:)

René said...

Sherry you are on the pulse of good timeless design, just like Ralph. Your pillow design is gorgeous!

Diane said...

The pillow is truly stunning! Ralph would be proud. And then he would copy it, sell thousands, and make a ton of money. All because he is Ralph Lifshitz. I mean, Ralph Lauren.

I so would have loved to have been there for the program. As much as I fear speaking in public, a teeny bit of wine can make one fearless. In fact, I just posted a Craigslist adventure that reminds me of something you would do. And it started with a teeny bit of wine!

Erika Ward said...

You did an amazing job designing your pillow and on your talk. Seemed completely comfortable to me in spite of your apprehension for public speaking ;)

As for your commentary, you are so freaking hilarious! If you for one moment belted out a note of "I believe I can fly" I would've peed my pants right there on stage!

Thanks for the laughs, my friend!

Unknown said...

You have inspired me with your "Goodwill Wool Jacket Pillow"! What a great way to achieve a trendy but timeless look. We have a place here called "Dig and Save" where they stock the Goodwill cast offs and you can buy it by the pound (Safety suits and rubber gloves a must if you want to find the best stuff in the bins...)
Sounds like a fun event too, after the iddy bit of wine and the talk, were pillows flying too?!

Cathy

Kathysue said...

OH Sherry I just love YOU!! I would love to hear you sing!!!! Too funny, Now about your pillow, genius, my dear, genius!!! Love that trim so unique. I think you made a classic. Would love to have been there to hear you all speak!! Have a great day, You made mine a really good one!! KS

Capella Kincheloe Interior Design said...

I loved seeing how great everyone's pillow turned out! Each designer+blogger did an amazing job and each one was so different, I would have been pleased to win each and every one. My pillow was made with fabric tape and I just love the red beads.

Cassie Bustamante said...

i love the pillow, and what a great idea! and look at you up there on a panel- wow! :)
and yes, teaching group ex is totally different than speaking in front of a bunch of people.

Marianne said...

Sherry, is there anything you can't do? Love what you did with the pillow! Your talents blow me away! xo

Lissa Pierce said...

Awesome pillows by everyone. I love seeing how everyone translates "trendy". So cool that you made yours from a jacket!!!

The Sister Sophisticate said...

How creative is that!?! I tend to have better conversations after I have had a glass of wine!:)

LiveLikeYou said...

I love that you made the pillow out of a jacket!! Looks fantastic. Nothing like a glass of wine before public speaking!

traci zeller designs said...

How fun!! You were all so very creative!!!

maggie said...

omg! rothflmao!!! that was soooo funny! the lion! hahah! pillow was beautiful! loved it!

Deserae said...

The pillow is fabulous...love it!
~Des

Mimi said...

So, what are you gonna do with the rest of the jacket? Hehe

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sherry, I love the pillows especially yours even though you didn't sew it. You are a hoot. Better watch the wine intake!

Gretchen O. said...

I love your pillow. And the fact you used a jacket is just, well, awesome! And, I have been known to grab a microphone after a glass (or 5) of vino....I am sure it was great!

Emily A. Clark said...

I love this post. And, I think you would do quite well on American Idol.

Mary Ann Pickett said...

Your pillow is fabulous. One of a kind! Think out how much it would cost in a boutique...and you are recycling!

Interior Design Musings said...

Hey Clever Sherry!
I love this post. I love sewing, and the idea of recycling the jacket opens up and entire new world of ideas for me!! M.
www.interiordesignmusings.blogspot.com

Carol@TheDesignPages said...

Good for you for interpreting trendy in that way. It's timeless fabric with a trendy approach. The pillows are all amazing!

Anonymous said...

Only you can take a cast-off jacket and flour sack and turn it into C.L.A.S.S!

Elsie said...

Sherry, Love that pillow!! I love that you chose classic...and the jacket idea--amazing.

Ashley Lauren said...

Wow what an intuitive idea taking a suit jacket and making it into a designer pillow!! It looks so chic! You've inspired me to enroll in sewing classes, it looks like such a fun project!

Pratishtha Durga said...

Sherry, you are awesomely talented. What an amazing transformation for fabric into that pillow design. Love the other designs too. You make DIY look so easy and fun.

Lori @ Lori May Interiors said...

Love your pillow! So sad I couldn't make it to the talk. I would have love it it you had broken into song!

Take care and enjoy this beautiful weekend!

Back to Top