VERN YIP





Last week I attended the Design Bloggers Conference.  It was fun and I have lot's to say about it but today is all about Vern.

You remember him right? 
From Trading Spaces?


I could not wait to get home at 4:00 everyday to watch!  Crazy Hilda and her straw walls.

Anyway I got an invite from Fabricut/Trend about 3 weeks before the conference that he was debuting his new fabric line  and didn't think much about it.  I was sure it was going to be Vern and 400 other designers/bloggers.

The first day of the conference I started hearing whispers that was not the case.

And then we got on a bus....only 20 of us.  What???  And.... found out we were having dinner at his home.  Holy Crap.  All I could think was how the hell did I get on this list.  


Unbelievable.  Still asking "why me?".


The foyer where Vern and Craig greeted us.



I was so starstruck.  There are 2 kinds of people in the world....the ones who see a "star" and rush to get a picture with them and me who kind of freeze.  Like stone.

Vern who received the 2000 Southeast Designer of the Year was asked to do Trading Spaces shortly after.  He told our table that at first he thought "why do I want to design a room with 1000.00 when I can charge that much for a lamp?"  Ha Ha.

Craig Koch [graduate of Wake Forest] who is the founder [1999] of Wag A Lot doggie day care and boarding which is located here in Atlanta.

They have 2 beautiful children and they told us from the get go we could explore the whole house.  Oh great....my phone had about 19% battery left.


3 beautiful tables set..... I was sitting at this one.

The food was incredible.  I wanted to eat every bite then lick the plate and throw my hands in the air like I just won an olympic gold medal.....but I glanced around and saw that I was the only one eating like it was my first meal in a week...... so I left a few bites.

Of course desert came and good manners went out the window.  

During dinner this beautiful young girl sitting across from me replied "Yes M'am" after I asked her a question.  I almost lunged across the table and poked her eyes out [just kidding Christy Davis].  But she turned out to be nice so I let it slide.

Dang  how did she know I was old?  


His home had just been redesigned using all of his fabrics.

More images of the family room.... 



This coffee table.  It was like art....of which he is a huge collector....especially photography.


 
The colors downstairs were rich reds with  dark black/brown walls in the DR.



There were 3 beautifully set tables


The LR off the foyer



Other facts:
Vern was selected as an honorary chairperson for the 2015 Atlanta Symphony Showhouse and will be designing a room.

He was about to go to medical school and changed his mind at the last minute getting his degree in architecture from Georgia Tech.

His new fabric collection will also be carried at Calico Corners and JoAnnes.

I saw a picture of Vern and Craig with 4 dogs and knew then....they were special right?


I got this from his FB page....


He even has a dog fabric in his line!

Last thing....this is a picture of his Rosemary Beach House [more of his fabrics].  It makes mine look like the ghetto....I am sure that Vern's place is NOT a rental.


Longest post ever....

Hope y'all have a delightful weekend:)

Shastarstruck




30 comments

Kristin bliss-athome.com said...

I love Vern. I used to watch that show religiously too! I actually wrote about it in my blog post today. That is so awesome you got to go to his home and have a fab dinner! His home looks AMAZING! I can't wait to hear more about the DBC too. I was with a few designers in NYC a couple weeks ago and they were talking about it. xo Kristin

A Perfect Gray said...

oh how much fun.I am crazy about the book-covered coffee table...

Belinda said...

Goodness Gracious, you are one blessed girl, what an awesome but well deserved adventure. Thanks so very much! Living visherriously!!!

Carrie said...

WOW!! What an experience! Their house is gorgeous. I'm loving the fabric on the dining room curtains.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Wow, how cool! I would have been star struck, too. Glad to see he likes red. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, you lucky girl/woman......I have loved Vern and his way of decorating for years and years and years. Thank you for the post it was "almost" like I was there. Aloha

Unknown said...

What a treat. I've seen the Rosemary house. It is spectacular! I was shocked that they rent it out. Such a nice couple. I will never forget meeting them at friend's house several years ago when Craig said "I know you. You're Daisy's mom." That was my dog who was a regular at Wag-a-lot.

Ashley @ The Houston House said...

Omg I thought about Hilda the other day wondering where she is now!!! I'll never forget the episode she hung the family's furniture from the ceiling... Or the one where she made the girls bed look like a grave- fake grass bedding and all. What an odd one!

Naz said...

Lynda from NYLCQ Focal Point Styling was invited to Vern's house also. Was this multiple seatings for dinner or were you both there at the same time?

http://nyclq-focalpoint.blogspot.com/2015/03/home-tour-fabricut-dinner-with-vern-yip.html

ArchitectDesign™ said...

How fun is that -of course I remember him!! Love his home -particularly that huge coffee table PILED with fascinating books!

Melissa at the Hive said...

Holy. Crap. Did you get to snag one of the menu boards. I am sure they were made with his fabric. I have to figure out a way to make one.

Jane@Bluebird1959 said...

Now that is cool! What an amazing surprise for you!!! Jane

Emily A. Clark said...

Well, this was a fun little behind-the-scenes tour! I so wish Trading Spaces still came on. With the same people. I completely forgot about some of them until you posted that picture.

Barbara Moore said...

Vern was my favorite TS designer. Soooo talented. Their home is jaw droppingly beautiful. I'm guessing the kiddos live somewhere else (legos, play doh, etc.?). T minus 5 minutes is all the time it would take my 3 year old grandson to 'rearrange' that coffee table.

Great night for you! Quite a score, Miss Thing.

Carahoffgirl said...

Well, how fun for you!!! That coffee table! Lurv! And I'm like you when I meet famous people... "What's wrong with that girl over there with her mouth open.. Oh, she's just from Alabama!" explains a lot!

tanyaj said...

lucky invite! thanks for sharing. i miss him

Holly Irwin Fine Art said...

Hi Sherry, You got an invite because you're special!! Wow, what an amazing home, dinner didn't look too bad either! Love the rich, collected feeling to his place. So warm and inviting. Thanks for sharing the photos,
Holly

Lisa Gabrielson said...

What a treat!!! Love all the reds and the art. Those fabrics are divine. You SO deserved to be one of the chosen 20. XO, Lisa

Kellie Smith said...

Oh how cool! Great pics! Vern visited me for my 50th birthday! Not really, but it was my 50th and I did have my picture made with him so that's my story. (-:

debra @ 5th and state said...

fascinating, was wondering how people were chosen, glad you were so we could "come along"!

i felt absolutely ancient at the event, so understand a m'am, sheesh!!!

looking forward to your upcoming posts on the event, despite feeling 80, loved it
debra

Anne said...

What a treat! I love the foyer with that gorgeous blast of pink, what a fun contrast to the formality!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely post, gorgeous photos, and your hilarious take on things - always entertaining. As a southern girl, you should know that the use of "Ma'am" is MANNERS and does not mean you are old. I would have kissed the girl for being polite. Appreciate that, don't think it reflects on your age at all. Besides, you look great, so who cares? :)

Judith

Unknown said...

Well, how much fun was THAT?!!! Great post. Sherry, you have such a great delivery in your writings. You could have a best seller on your hands if you were so inclined to write a book. I'd love to have a video of reactions of everyone reading your blog. I'm pretty certain there would be a 100% chuckle reaction. So fun to read your blog (and not even mentioning all your amazing and inspirational photos of your work!). Lordy, you are good!!!

Have a great weekend! Judy G.

LiveLaughDecorate said...

I can't even deal with this post. I SOOOOOOOOOO Love Vern and like you, could not wait to see his designs on trading spaces! So I CANNOT believe you met him and got to hang out in his freaking house! Gurl! #jesustakethewheel!
What a treat. I can't even hate but thanks so much for sharing the pics and for letting us know about his fabric collection. Will definitely be sourcing.

srldesign said...

Wow! That is so freaking awesome! I'm like you...I'd be like, "Did I step into the right line??!" lol And I'm glad your poor little phone didn't die before you were able to get the shots of his home...everything looked so beautiful, curated, and interesting!! What a day. Lucky girl ;-)

Mary Beth at www.mbzinteriors.com said...

The sofas look as soft as butt-ah! I'll take the horse painting too please, thanks for sharing

Holly Gruszka said...

Vern was my favorite! I saw something recently that he had a fabric line coming out - well well well. What a fun event Sherry! Thanks for sharing and will keep my eye out for some Vern fabrics.

Unknown said...

Lucky girl and Im so glad to finally see some pictures of his rooms! Thanks for sharing and if I couldn't go, Im sure glad it was you since your accouting is so wonderful! So happy you got to meet him in his home. xo Nancy

Kim said...

Yep, I'm a Freezer as well!! what fun and thank you for sharing!

Taylor Greenwalt said...

Wow...you must of peed in your pants...I'm so jealous! That must of been so fun!

Back to Top