QUESTIONS ANSWERED




On occasion I get questions about certain design decisions I have made when I post pictures of finished projects.

I'll be honest....sometimes I remember them and sometimes I don't.  I am trying to be better....but if you ask a question you are better off leaving an email address so I can fire off a answer right then.  Otherwise it could get lost in that tiny area called my brain.  Just saying.

Where were we.....oh yeah questions.

Someone wanted to know why I made the decision to hang the curtains at different heights. 


This window had the arch at the top so in my opinion I thought it was best to go all the way to the ceiling.  

I still have not figured out how to take a good picture right into a window.  Do I have to learn everything?

The other area was a french door

It was much shorter and there was a lot going on with the bookshelves to the right and also trim from the kitchen entrance to the left.  I decided to continue the line from the bookshelves to the trim by hanging the rod even with it.  Yes....I could have gone all the way up but there was too much vacant space for my liking.  These ceilings were over 10 ft tall.

 There are so many opinions on hanging curtains and for sure I am all about the  "hang em high" rule.  But [and this is just me] curtains are also about framing the window so this worked for my eye.

And that is just that....

Next question was about the Lee Industries ottoman.  Kind of mean to say it is my favorite and not include any info on it.


This is the 9010-90 style.

I did not use a fabric from Lee and instead decided to COM [customers own material] it with this fabric from Kravet.

 I love this ottoman for many reasons.  The size is good....it is fairly light, has wheels and with the upholstered top good for small children.  I thought this dark wool fabric would have some longevity as well as add some great texture to the space.



OK...enough about my decision making.  It's not really that exciting.

Today I have 3 client appointments.  The way I see it......if I am going to put makeup on and look presentable might as well see everybody I can right?  At my age it takes some dang effort to knock out a look.

Speaking of which.....gotta get going on that right now.

Shabootie












28 comments

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

this was an excellent idea. let's have ask sherry day! :)

My Interior Life said...

I love hearing about your decision-making process. Always very helpful to see how other's brains work (mine doesn't seem to be doing too well). Good luck on your appointments - I'm sure you'll look beautiful.

Tidy-Up Gal said...

I prefer to hang curtains higher up too. Makes the room feel much bigger.

Karena said...

Sherry,
Love,love the ottoman!!You made the right decisions on hanging the curtains as well!

PS I am having a Paris Book Giveaway!
xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Cindy said...

I totally get why you hung the curtain that height near the bookshelves, it's actually completely perfect that way, and i love love the fabric on the ottoman too...

Cindy

Vel Criste said...

Thank you for giving us insight in the 'why' of some of your design. Your clients aoure lucky they have your help!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Thank you for sharing your expertise. Whatever you do it's workin! I love all the spaces you create.

Lisa Gabrielson said...

Great info! I die for that Kravet wool on that ottoman. Great family room. Love it!

Holly Gruszka said...

I love reading about what goes on in that mind of yours.

Karen at Home Sweet Hollywood said...

I'm learning so much from the Sherika Skool of Design...and it's all good :)

Thanks for answering all of our nosey questions...you're awesome!

xo

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

Very smart way to deal with all the different heights. Clever.
It flows!

Carol@6WilsonBlog.com said...

Totally agree about too much space above the doors, but, then, you don't need me telling you that :). You rock. The ottoman is great, but the Kravet Couture is just luscious. I adore wool. Nothing.like.it.

debra @ 5th and state said...

well my feet as i read this is one my lee ottoman in caramel leather. LOVING your fabric of choice
debra

Taylor Greenwalt said...

Sherry...I know what you mean about taking longer to create a look...... but I am sure you looked great...Love the ottoman...the fabric is wonderful!

toko busana muslim murah said...

Thank you for posting this. i’ll bookmark this site and return here in next few days.

Linda @ a design snack said...

Your windows, and the pics of them, look great. Window photography is a beast; you've got it tamed!

The Gilbertson Family said...

Let me just say, you're my idol. You always create beautiful spaces.

michele said...

go knock em dead, sherry. i so agree with your thinkin on this.

smiles.

michele

LiveLaughDecorate said...

You are a hot mess! Love that ottoman. I always go with the hang em high rule but your decision makes total sense. Three clients in one day? girl you is on fire!

Mary Ann Pickett said...

I love that ottoman. YOU are so talented.

pam {simple details} said...

That ottoman is fab, but your fabric choice takes it over the top!

Unknown said...

that ottoman is fab-u-lous!!

Unknown said...

I do not question ANY of your design decisions- I think everything you do is grand! good luck today, knock em dead. That ottoman is one of my all time favorites.
xoxoNancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

Thehouseofhampton said...

Hi! The drapes look great. I love the fabric you choose for the ottoman too. One thing that caught my eye was the fantastic railing on the balcony!!! OMG, love it....
Sharon

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

man oh man I love that kravet fabric!!

Mary @Onlinephd said...

The curtains simply look lovely and attractive! The fabric is perfect for windows at the living room. The photo take is likewise fine for an amateur. I’m fond of curtains with lovely designs and styles. They might sound easy to but it’s actually tricky, right? It needs an artistic person to create a fabulous outcome.

stephanie at Stephanie Kraus Designs said...

I think my favorite is the ottoman. Thought you hung the curtains at a perfect height sometimes you have to go with your gut and not follow "rules" right?

Cindy said...

How many yards of fabric are needed to COM this Lee ottoman? It looks beautiful!

Back to Top