A WINNER AND SOME DIY ARTWORK




Drumroll please......the winner of the $100.00 gift certificate from Rejuvenation Lighting is Melanie Thompson from My Sweet Savannah!  I know she is going to be excited to either design a light of her own or just pick out a cool accessory for her gorgeous home.  Huge thanks  for all of your comments!

If you follow me on Instagram [sherryhdesigns] then you saw me post this picture


My sister and I were trying to think of some cheap art for my nephews dining room.  

CHEAP.

We went to Michaels for a tablet of drawing paper and a tube of black acrylic paint.  That was the easy part.

Coming up with what to do with them took a little more thought.   I wish I could say it was my genius idea.  

She just threw some paint on the paper and then put another piece on top.  Rorschach.  Ink Block.  Easy Peasy.

We did a few.  It did take a week for them to totally dry cause we might have put it on a little thick...

Off to Ikea for some Ribba frames.


Instead of black we got the wood colored ones.  Before I show you what they look like ....here is the DR before.


My sister got it in her head that she wanted to paint stripes.  I on the other hand was thinking.....that is a lot of work....how about we just hang some art and be done with it.  #lostinterestafterthebedroom

But she wouldn't let it go.  Every time I turned around "stripes".  I felt like I was being water boarded.  

We had gotten this table from West Elm at the outlet store.



For mere pennies I might add.  Then my nephew took the wind out of our balloon.  He closed his wallet.  The nerve.  So we had to get really crafty.  

This rug that I used to have in my bedroom and gave to my sister found it's way to his DR.


These chairs that I've had for 20 years got painted.  They have been red, white, yellow and now black.


Then I found some custom linen curtains at Goodwill for $12.00.  I couldn't believe it...I NEVER score at GW.  

So I caved on the stripes.....just can't say no to family right?


My sister painted the area above the moulding white.  

We knocked them out in 2 hours....I measured and taped and she painted.

The curtains got hung....



So...if you are looking for a perfectly staged after picture...then you might be pissed cause it hasn't happened yet.  With no budget to speak of we have to wait to find the perfect items.....might have to revive my old career of dumpster diving.  #hopenotdirtyjob

BUT......here are the pictures of the art work....


I'm thinking these DIY people are on to something.  If I only had more time......


Mixing mid-century [table] with the chippendale [chairs] made me feel pretty renegade.  But dang....I was liking it with the stripes, modern art, and traditional rug.  Watch out Angie Hranowsky 

Jus fooling......


I kind of wanted them for myself but we have plenty of paint and paper left:)

Gotta go and send Melanie her email about winning.  My sister really wanted to get another light but it would have been fishy if I announced her as the winner right....you guys would have so been on to me.....

Start the week off right....make a list and get it done.

Shacrafty







29 comments

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Very cool!

Melissa I. said...

Looking GREAT!

How dare he close his wallet?!

Unknown said...

I have thought about doing stripes in my most recent home from time to time but keep blowing it off because its too much work. It's so worth it because the stripes are gorgeous. I also love that you used frames in natural wood for the b & w art. It's the perfect amount of tension. Good job, sharangie!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Great art idea. May need to steal that idea for my daughter's house. I think your sister may have been right about the stripes.

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

The Dining Room is coming together with Auntie's Touch! The stripes look very cool and the art work belongs in a museum! Very clever. Isn't that how the Masters began! How many more rooms are there to work on?
He will have the Best Decorated apartment in his building!

Dwellings by DeVore said...

looks awesome, as usual!

Karena said...

You really are the best Aunt in the World; I adore what you have done. It is elegant and masculine, the curtain panels soften up the stripes; amazing!!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Unknown said...

I just sent Melaine a congratulations text, I hope she sensed my envy!!!! Darn her!

The dining space looks amazing.....yea, diy, never have the time...
xo~Jill

Karen at Home Sweet Hollywood said...

Sherry those look fantastic...you made that sound pretty easy. Love the shape and sizes you chose. They look awesome on the stripes!

Cassie Bustamante said...

OOH I LOVE the stripes!!! seriously amazing! :)

Unknown said...

Fantastic! It doesn't have to be so hard! Great impact on those art prints!!! I bet he's crazy about his new DR!
great job.
xo Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

Unknown said...

You make everything look so easy! Great job!... Love the artwork :D
I was looking at your post on my phone via facebook and pushed something it it started to call you - yikes... if you see a missed call from 562 area code that was me, haha.

pam {simple details} said...

Oh yes, those stripes give it the perfect punch, love the eclectic mix his budget dictated!

The Pink Pagoda said...

Your nephew is lucky you're on the job! It looks great as usual! I'm loving the DIY art!

bluehydrangea said...

So glad the stripes are horizontal...love!! And of course it all looks fabulous!!

Kim said...

Oh yeah ... this is pretty fab. Your Nephew is about to be a rock star ... hope he is ready!! xo

Dana Frieling said...

Ok, so does anyone else see a mom with a ponytail holding hands with a baby in the top two pictures?! Hours of conversation in your artwork, I tell ya. Super fun...great work, ladies.

Pat@BPM said...

Brilliant all the way around, Sherry!

Unknown said...

get out! I want some!!!

Victoria said...

Love it! Just shows you what you can do with a little imagination...and TONS of talent.
XO, Victoria

Kelly@Bungalow Blue said...

LOVE the artwork, but I've got to say, SO glad you changed your mind on the stripes - they look fabulous! Love the color!

Shelly @ ConfettiStyle Interiors said...

Fabulous job. The room looks great and your nephew is lucky to have your talent at his disposal!

Abby M. Interiors said...

This looks fabulous! That is one lucky nephew. I hope he appreciates how awesome his home looks thanks to you and his mother. That artwork is perfect. So glad you went with the wood frames against all the black & white. LOVE it!
Abby

René said...

This looks so incredible! I'm would've have shrugged the stripes idea too, but gosh they look great! You should start an etsy store!

Kathysue said...

Love it ALL! You clever ladies!! I saw some black prints that someone took their fav. number and had bits and pieces of the number , kind of like what you did, I loved it!1
Kathysue

Carol@6WilsonBlog.com said...

I LOVE this post! What a great look! I dig the traditional rug with everything else. Can you be my sister?

Unknown said...

i love these paintings! and on the striped wall - perfection! The table with those chairs - get it girrrrrl! Looks so good!

cindy hattersley said...

I have been so tempted to try something like that! I am no artist but you give me hope~

Jessie said...

The stripes look wonderful! The dining room is going look fabulous when it's done. Great job, Sherry!

Jessie
www.mixandchic.com

Back to Top