PATIO MAKEOVER




Well.....not exactly the after.....but the beginning.  I have been blabbing on and on about getting my house painted.  It has finally started....you know after all the prep of caulking, sanding, and power washing.  

This is just the primer but I am so excited about the lighter color.


I used Benjamin Moore China White.  Believe it or not....I have not picked the shutter color.  I have about a hundred samples on the back of the house and I am sure my painter will be standing over me with a hot dagger waiting for a decision.

It actually looks good with the color they are now which is SW Porpoise.  But I am ready for a change.

Now to the back of the house.  Don't cringe....cause I think you can tell the front is rather traditional.....but something like this is in the works.
I wanted something fun.
I think I am in good hands with this little beauty.

Also....I have been slobbering over this umbrella canopy from Ballard forever.

I have been checking the Backroom every time I am in the area and the other day I was close to the location and low and behold they had "one".  By that I mean only one cover....in the size I needed and it was the black and sand.

Shut up.

I scooped it up and just walked around thinking about how lucky I was.....maybe doing the Gangnam Style dance in the isles.

  "Assistance in isle 2 for help with ....uncoordinated old lady having a seizure."

  I got out of there with 25% off [on top of another  20%] for a total   around $120.00.  

Yesterday I went to Home Depot for some spray paint.  I needed to spray the base because it was black and my umbrella was not.

Easy right.....getting pretty excited to get this sucker up and running....

I might be dancing around my back yard with the cover like a super hero waiting for the paint to dry.

Cue sound of scratchy record.

WTF.

It does not work with my umbrella.  

But they told me it would work with ANY umbrella.  

Liars.  Mine has 6 spikes [proper term?[ and the cover is made for 8.

I mean really.   Good Lord.  


All the joy just left the backyard.

Now what.  I don't know....brick wall.....no hammer.

Cause with my savings I was thinking these might have my name on them.....

Nothing has my name on it now except my birth certificate.

I know this is not earth shattering.....no one died....no one is sick....my house did not get flattened by a tornado.

I try to keep things in perspective.

But crap. 
 
There is always something that can bring a smile back though.





Alrighty then......Have a great day.  I mean it.

Shabusted








32 comments

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh my word, I am so sorry about your umbrella. I love that cover too. Hugs, Marty

stephanie at Stephanie Kraus Designs said...

Laughed out loud at this one! Bummer about the umbrella. Have a great day!

lizziefitz said...

Your birth certificate!!!! You never cease to put a huge smile on my face! Thank you:))))))

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

I am amazed you took it as well as you did!!
I am assuming you returned it and took the planters in exchange? Or did they not take returns on "sale" items? If not I guess you could put it in your "warehouse" and wait for the base they sell to go on sale! Ha!
It's all going to look great with the white house!

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

Sad sad story told so well lol! I have been there, many times:) Isn't fun to have kindred sprits who totally get it? Go get those planters, they are fantastic!!

Vel Criste said...

can't wait to see it all together!!!! I'm seeing gorgeous all over it! happy holiday!

Kelly said...

Why is it that you can take something bad and turn it into something hilarious!!!! I'm supposed to feel bad for you, but instead I'm laughing at all of this happening to you!!! Love the umbrella cover but hate that you weren't able to use it. Now, maybe you need a new umbrella base too???? Love those planters you saw at Home Depot too. I can see why you love them! They're great. Looking forward to seeing your house in it's new color. You have such good taste that I'm sure it will look great whatever shutter color you choose too. Now go have a drink and try to relax with what's left of this holiday weekend.

Kristen said...

Can't wait to see your house all painted and ready. It's crazy what a difference paint can make!

Donna-s Lair said...

Liars is right and the right 8 spike thingy will come along one day,,,...then again that's what I was told about my ex. :-D

Taylor Greenwalt said...

You are so funny....sorry about the umbrella...at least you got a funny post out of it!

Anonymous said...

I can not stop laughing. I call one of these my "Lucy moments" when I find something that just sends me to heaven and then it doesn't work! Hang in there!

andresenjuhl said...

Sherry, your blog makes me smile! I am a 50 something decorator from Ontario, Canada. I look forward to all your posts!! Keep them coming.

Lynn

Acquired Objects said...

Loving the strip umbrella and since it doesn't work on your stand make some really great chairs covers out of it. Hey, I sew so I'm always able to find another use for things.

XXX
Debra~

Kathysue said...

Bummer! I know how you feel. Moving right along and Bam the plan does not work!! Hope you can find what you need and want! Love the striped umbrella! I have looked at it for my back patio too, so I totally understand your disappointment!
xoxo Kathysue

A Perfect Gray said...

great minds....yesterday I lined up a post for this coming week...with that awesome striped umbrella in it!

Anonymous said...

Just enjoyed this and laughed like crazy because..... been there, done that....
You just bring a lot of sunshine into peoples' lives!

Heather Moore Grahling | Vivid Hue Home said...

well crap. That stinks because that umbrella is so stinkin cute. I know the disappointment you must've felt. Hopefully you downed a few martinis and didn't tell anyone about it. I would still try to figure out a way to rig that thing. Those planters are great too.

pam {simple details} said...

Dang! Take it to your amazing drapery workroom, maybe they can re-work it a tad?? :) I saw those planters at a friend's house, they look so Restoration Hardware, but went to two Home Depots and no luck. :(

Mary Ann Pickett said...

Loving your house color!

Victoria said...

I should know better than to eat my morning toast while reading your post. Toast plus uncontrollable laughter are not a healthy combination. Now, I am not laughing about what happened with your umbrella; I would be upset too. I'm laughing about the line you wrote that nothing has your name on it except your birth certificate. You are one very funny lady. I hope today is a good one.
XO, Victoria

Andrea said...

Ahhh Sherry, that's a major bummer, but knowing you, you'll figure something out and it will all turn out perfectly. I would stalk Ballard Outlet too for that umbrella cover. Great find!

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

I was wrong about the dark house color, this one is looking fresh and lovely!

Linda Pakravan said...

You are too funny! If anyone can make it work, it's you.

Naz said...

You are too funny! Thank you. :D

michele said...

i love that canopy. and those planters at home depot. did you buy em? i'll check them out. sherry, thank god for you. i am just getting started thinkin about outdoor stuff. no flowers in the window boxes. no new shutter color. no spruce up to the pathetic concrete slab in back we call a patio. so pat yourself on the back for at least making the effort and moving forward. smooches.

michele

Cindy said...

Oh man... i'm so bummed it didn't fit! I feel like it just happened to me... there must be something wrong with me if i have such umbrella empathy. I'm really curious and excited about seeing your house the light color too!

Cindy

House of Pemberley said...

I'm loving the new paint color! And you cracked me up about the umbrella. I cannot wait to see it all when its done. Love for you to visit the blog

houseofpemberley.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Now that you have us all laughing, Sherry. You're hilarious! Love your humor, love your talent and love your tenacity! You WILL find a way to come up with the 8 spokes you need. =D

Judy G.

Jill said...

You make me laugh. And I love it.

toko baju muslim murah said...

Its the details of our lives I think that in some respects make the impact. Its only once in a while the big picture matters. I loves these photos of the details.

Unknown said...

bahahaha - girl, I may have shed a tear if that had been me - too bad I don't live closer you could have called me and we could have had a bottle I mean a glass of wine and laughed about it

René said...

Well sorry about all that, but you just gave me an idea and it is called white spray paint. Chachacha!

Back to Top