DESIGN BOARD




I am going to confess to you that I'm not very good at "mood boards".  On the other hand when you want to show a little vision to a client it is the only way.

This one is for a small guest bedroom.  She already purchased the Ikea iron bed and has a vintage armoire that is staying.  This is an older home with a slight victorian feel to it.  I say that because there is a fireplace in the room with blue tiles on it.


Sometimes it is nice to already know what color you are working with :).

So feast your eyes on this very elementary Olioboard.....

Since the ceilings are 120" I will have to add fabric to the bottom of ready made curtains.  There is a window on both sides of the bed.  The one problem is that the closet door opens into the right side of the bed which leaves very little room for an end table.

I could have used 2 very small side tables and skinny tall lamps but with 10 ft ceilings I felt there was already too much vertical in the room.  I needed round and fat.  Like my butt.

After I added the color, I decided that some black and white pictures would look good split up and hung on both sides of the armoire.

We will see how this plays out and hopefully I can show you the before and afters.

In other news I finally completed watching all 3 seasons of Downton Abby.  Last week.  It was definitely a marathon.  

I got tired of faking my way through conversations with people saying things like "OF COURSE I'M WATCHING....IT'S SO GOOD RIGHT?"  Then changing the subject with "OH LOOK....THERE'S A PUPPY!"

Today I suggested to my husband [while we were out doing errands] that it would be fun to use an english accent when we spoke.  He gave me a look that I interpreted as "sometimes my wife is weird" and went about his business.  I thought it would be easier than trying to use a spanish accent...... he wanted nothing to do with any of it.

It is supposed to be a 10 on the "wizometer" tomorrow. 
 In Atlanta that is weather man talk for a "stinking fine day".

Looking forward to it.

Chili for dinner.

Cherio.







21 comments

Simply LKJ said...

Love what you've picked. That is some serious blue tile!! Ha, my hubby laughs at the girls and I when we start talking with a foreign accent. I mean, hey, what should they have all the fun??? Of course, I am sure they think our "southern" accents are ridiculous. LOL So looking forward to tomorrow's weather. This rain is the pits! If I wanted to live where it rains 75+% of the time, I'd move to Seattle.

Kathysue said...

Looks mighty fine to me, I know what you mean about mood boards, I can not do a good one to save my life. Takes me forever!!! I usually give up. Luckily I am only making it for me, not a client! Kathysue

Stacey {steward of design} said...

I need my 13 year old daughter to teach me how to make a mood board! She's much better at that stuff than me.
I just watched all 3 seasons of DA this past week too! Little sad that I'm all caught up now.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Great picks and at least you can put one of those together. Yes, I hope the weatherman is right this time. Totally missed it today.

Karen at Home Sweet Hollywood said...

I laughed out loud re your butt. You slay me sometimes :)

Your design looks so good and warm and stylish, but duh...it's you, so I expect all of those things. I really hope we get to see the finished room cuz I'm really liking it.

And I guess I am now the only person in America who hasn't seen Downton Abbey....shoot.

Happy good weather day!

Jamie Herzlinger said...

Just found our blog. Enjoyed reading yours posts!
Regards,
Jamie Herzlinger

Pura Vida said...

I am so intrigued with your anonymous stump grinder. I used to try to get my youngest daughter to speak different languages with me and then she got old enough to think I was a dork..not that you are...anyone as talented as you can't really be a dork

Interior Design Musings said...

Since you're all caught up now, maybe you will enjoy this (very small) inside joke. In January, there was a rumor going around that a huge black mercedes had been spotted driving around the villages of Mountain Brook (where I live) with a bumper sticker that read, "Free Bates" I never saw it in person, but it's always in the back of my mind when I'm driving around! Ha! M.

Kristin Kong said...

Looks great! Can't wait to see the finished pictures! Looking forward to our "10" day today!

Flying Designer said...

My daughter who adores anything British has perfected her English accent. Transfers went thru to London and only if I was single...sigh, jk enjoy the day!

andresenjuhl said...

I have been a follower of yours for awhile now, just want to let you know how much you make me laugh. Keeps it coming.

It's minus 2 up here in Ontario, envious of the bit of warmth:)

Lynn

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

Well get outside, tomorrow. Wednesday is our best day of the week. I don't even try to make the boards, so good for you. People use Polyvore, Photoshop, and Power Point, too. I use Pinterest ;)

Carol@6WilsonBlog.com said...

You know what -- that's a great look and a mighty fine board for that room. I just don't like doing boards, I'll admit it. I launched that service some months ago, but honestly, it's just not me. Can't do it. So now, well, I just don't. :)

Holly Gruszka said...

I don't think boards have to be anything fancy at all. You get your general idea across with some colors and pattern and you're good to go - which you've done beautifully here. They do come in really handy with e-design to really get the vision across, but with local clients I still like to have them feel and touch as much as possible and follow-up with a mood board if they want something to ponder.

Unknown said...

That show makes you want to talk with an English accent doesn't it? Like you can't even help it!

Love the plan - can't wait to see it all come together - those are some seriously high ceilings!

Ashley @ The Houston House said...

Great pics... and yesterday was a 10 on the wizometer after all the rain we've had lately in Atlanta! Hope you enjoyed it!

Stacey said...

Love the board. I don't go out if the forecast says the weather is going to be horrible. I'm grumpy on cloudy days and super happy and energetic on sunny ones. I'm also Jamaican:-)

traci zeller designs said...

I think I'm the only designer alive who hasn't seen a single episode of Downtown Abbey ... although by the looks of how my Facebook feed blew up after the season finale, perhaps I am glad!!

Splendid Willow said...

Sometimes it is nice to already know what color you are working with - Ha ha ha!

I actually think you are quite good with with your moodboards, Ms Sherry.

And I trust that you will turn that room into something magazine worthy.

Hugs to you. Mon

michele said...

hahahaha. i have felt so left out of the downton abs stuff but have not given in. i will speak in a bad english accent with you any day of the week though!

need some atlanta weather here. my husband came home from florida yesterday with a tan, and methinks he must die.

good luck on this new project!

michele

Erika at BluLabel Bungalow said...

Look at you! Go Sherry with your design board ;)I love all of your ideas. You have to be so creative with small spaces like that and Lord knows you are the queen of creative. Looking forward to the sneak peeks!

Back to Top