I'm done celebrating.....



Ok...so maybe I wasn't celebrating all that time.  You know how that goes.  Well....not you really dedicated bloggers....you guys don't miss a beat.  Like a paper route...the paper always gets delivered.

For me it goes like this...after 2 days I think "oh I can go one more day..." and then so on and so on........

Next thing I know it has been 9 days.  WHAT?????  I can hardly believe it myself.  But I knew y'all were in good hands because you have plenty of blogs to read out there.

I don't even know what has been going on in "blogland"  Like is emerald green still hot?  Everyone still into wallpaper????  Sunburst mirrors are out?

After I write this post then I must take a look around and see what I have been missing.

Yes...it is official.  I am 60.  And all of your sweet comments that went something like this.....that bitch is old "Oh girl...your not old!".....or she must have photoshopped her picture "You still look good!"

I really appreciate your effort to be kind.  

So enough about that.

What did I do my birthday week.  Painted and decorated.  Yup.......see what you have to look forward to?  Even when you are my age you will still have the sickness.

I got the chalk paint out the first day.  This furniture came with the place when we bought it.  Ugly right?

I know what you are thinking...how in God's name have I not painted it before now [7 years].  Well.....notice the leather accents?  

Why oh why did they have to be there.  Now in my defense when we are here most often other people are with us and I can't just go  and tear the room up.....

I wasn't raised in a barn.

This time it was just my husband and I.  

Let the games begin.

So I painted......and painted...and painted.  Practically 3 coats.  I could not figure out what to do with the leather straps so I just put them back on.

I was spent people.  I figured that I would give them a rental season and see how they weathered.  

They were not easy to paint.

My friend was down there redoing her bedroom so she gave me her castoffs.......the curtains, the rug and some white Pottery Barn shams.  So now the room went from this:


To this...
And yes....don't you hate when builders just throw a window on a wall.  For the record it irritates the living crap out of me.  Is it too much to ask to center the darn thing????

I spent the least amount of money I could.  Those pictures came with the place ....I did manage to find the pillows at World Market [friends and family discount weekend}, and the lamp at Marshalls, along with navy bedskirts.

The I got a wild hair.....OH YES I DID.

Let me remind you that I was at the beach and everyday looked like this....
Gor....geous!  
Where was I?????  

Painting a bedroom white.

It has been years since I actually painted anything other than a piece of furniture.  

What.  Was.  I.  Thinking.

I will admit now that I was extremely crazy over ambitious.  

I googled the best "paint and primer in one".  Home Depot.  Really.  Cause I HATE Home Depot paint.  But OK.....one coat and you are done.

NO


That is a lie.

More like 2 and a half coats and every last ounce of my patience.  

Before....



Reused pillow shams from other room....and again...Jan's castoffs.  

I did find the cutest bathroom rug.

All of the stores are about 25 miles away...so there was a lot of driving in between coats.

So OK....neither one is ready for the cover of a magazine or anything.....but they look so much better.  I could not paint the bathroom.  I just did not have it in me.  Next trip.

I wanted to paint the headboards.....but again....just say no. 

I need to replace the art...you know...paint my own.  It would be a heck of a lot better than what is there... 

Oh yea...I did manage to have a pretty sizable meltdown while I was there.  Scared my husband so bad...he had to take a nap.  I was trying to hang a curtain and ended up with a hole the size of Texas.  Followed by screaming, crying, stomping......maybe I threw the broom......maybe I scared my dogs so much that they would not come near me for 2 days.

Who cares.  It was my damn birthday week.

I'm back and hopefully regular posting will follow.

Sha Wreckingball......









39 comments

Beth @A Little Country House said...

Happy Birthday to YOU! You are not old, you are seasoned vetran who is totally cool! Love!

Jessie said...

Love the bedroom makeover, those navy curtains and pillows are fab! Hope you had a fantastic birthday celebration, Sherry!

Jessie
www.mixandchic.com

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

Awww, I hate painting anything other than a canvas.
FYI, I have used Sherwin-Williams Superpaint and its the Bomb!! I covered blood red with light blue in one coat--really-- but I put on two cuz I'm like that. Hope that helps next time. Bless your heart for painting on your birthday vacation.

Kathysue said...

Painting on your 60th bday! Oh no!! I would have had a hissy fit too!! Love the fresh coat/coats of white paint. You are so blessed to have a beach house. I did a post yesterday on my dream beach house. Only in my dreams in California!!! Glad to see you are back and well and beautiful at 60!! xo Kathysue, at 62!!

Kelly said...

You always make me laugh when I read your posts! First of all, happy belated birthday! I had no idea you were that old.....uh..I mean young. I hate painting, so I can't imagine doing that during my birthday. Hopefully, you at least carved out a little fun for yourself during that week. I like the changes you made though. I'm sure that the future renters of your place will appreciate them too. Love that view!!

An Urban Cottage said...

SHUT UP. You are not 60.

Acquired Objects said...

Happy 60th to you....it's just a number who cares if it's a really big number it's still just a number...;) Your beach house is shaping up and that's all that matters but not much of a birthday week huh? I hate Home Depot too!

(P.S. I liked the first comment about being "seasoned"...lol)

Enjoy your Sunday!
XX
Debra~

Unknown said...

What happened to a fabulous trip to Paris to celebrate your 60th birthday? You decide to spend your week at the beach painting?!!!! Seriously Sherry, you DO have "the sickness!" Maybe now that the paining is done and the place has a fresh look you can actually get some R&R next time you are there! Happy belated bday...hope you are still celebrating!
Cathy

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I could have told you not to get the Behr paint. I used it in the dining room and no it did not cover well at all. I only use Benjamin Moore now. All their paints come with primer in them and go on so much better. Not always one coat, but the paint goes a lot farther. I had to go back to HD to buy more of the Behr paint. What you did looks good. Welcome back.

michele said...

things around the place are lookin great, sherry. and go ahead and melt down when you need to (as long as no animals are harmed). better that than to let it fester and bubble up at an unexpected time. there you go. that therapy was on the house.

have a fabulous new week.

michele

Lisa Mende Design said...

You always make me laugh! Sharay wrecking ball! I arrived today at my beach house and my first thought was gawhhh what do i need to redo, repaint, fix!!! ugh!
good to be at the beach though. my birthday isn't for two weeks but i am going to claim the whole dang month for myself...you can too. so til the end of march is your birthday. that's what we do when we get old enough to tell people what to do dang it. yeah!

NanaDiana said...

Ummm...Happy Bithday but please note that I am ducking and running as I say that. Welcome to the 60's! You'll love it...or hate it...either way you don't have much choice this side of the sod!

Loved your painting story. And, as a note-a lot of time those windows are placed to make the house look good on the outside (and because they are designed mostly by men they don't THINK about what it might look like on the INSIDE)..just saying...but that is usually the reason they are where they are. xo Diana

Taylor Greenwalt said...

I love the make over. How did you like using the chalk paint. I bought some, but have not used it yet. Happy Birthday!

Anne said...

Just beautiful! Lovely blog ~ I'm a new follower! :)
Best, Anne ♥♥ (Happy belated birthday!)

Cindy said...

Soooooo, the dogs were like, "stay the f away from her, she's crazy right now" huh? Funny...
All your changes look really great! I like the white wall in the one bedroom... Great pillows too, they really make each of the rooms. I can't believe you have a beach cottage... how cool. And, look at you, 60, a workout instructor, you look great, and you're still painting and cussing and decorating and running around like a 30 year old! Way to go girl!

Cindy

Anonymous said...

OMG Sherry, I was sure you were one of those 40 something babes!!
Hope I have half your energy when I'm your age!! OK, truth be known,
I'm 66. You ROCK lady!! LOVE reading your posts!!
Where did you get the artwork in the guest room? Looking for inexpensive but stylish for our FL guestroom.
Denise

My Interior Life said...

Happy Belated Birthday to you! You look fabulous (and I've seen you in person!!). And I love all your beach house updates - very worth your time and effort. Glad to have you back. I've been a little out of it lately too!

Katie said...

Ahhh... that blue lamp is awesome. I don't know what it is about navy, but I'm on a huge kick.

Great makeovers!

Pura Vida said...

I thought that beach looked boring

Carolyn@Sweet Chaos Home said...

Happy Birthday to you!!!! I am more than happy to paint any room in your Florida house for you. Of course, I would have to stay there, and it would probably take me at least a week :)

We are heading down there at the end of the month... Can't wait!

Hope this is a terrific year for you!

angela | the painted house said...

Okay, so no relaxing for you at the beach! But you accomplished so much and it all looks great!

Happy birthday, Sherry!

Anonymous said...

Hopefully this will make you feel better about your age: recently my doctor asked me how I felt about becoming 70 near the end of March and I told him I really didn't feel OLD. Then he asked me how I would know when I was old. Without missing a beat, I told him that I would know when I was old when I no longer look forward to an orgasm. Now, THAT's OLD!

Anonymous said...

I'd like to add that my doctor said this was the best damn answer he'd ever gotten to that question!

Marianne said...

Look at you go! There's nothing like a fresh coat of paint to make us feel better. I hate Home Depot paint, too. Never recommend it to anyone, but I guess we live and learn. So glad you enjoyed your birthday at the beach and you got so much done! Looks great!

Missi at Havoc-to-Heaven said...

I missed you ...but glad you had an amazing 9 days of birthday and decorating. I was also down in the panhandle last week ... wasn't it beautiful?

Victoria said...

Not surprisingly, everything looks marvelous, Sherry...and on a shoestring. You are a trooper to spend your birthday laboring away. I am sure I would have had a meltdown too. For your 61st, just go to the beach house and sit in a chaise on the beach with a good book and an even better stem glass filled with the beverage of your choice.
Best...Victoria

tanyaj said...

oh how your blog makes me smile. actually it makes me laugh out loud and nohting is better for the soul than laughter.thanks sherry and happy birthday

designchic said...

Happy 60th...sounds like you worked waaaay too hard! Love the nightstand makeover - completely brightened the whole room!!

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Happy Belated Birthday Sherry!!!!!!!! Janell

Karen at Home Sweet Hollywood said...

Happy Birthday Sherry...hope it was a fantastic birthday week! And for the record, you look fabulous...nowhere near 60. Rock on girl!

As always, your rooms look beautiful. LOVE all the pillows in both rooms...I don't know how you always manage to find such great pillows. In awe...

Have a good one...
Karen

Unknown said...

Happy birthday to You!! You look amazballs!!! And no, you are not old!! Bedroom makeovers look great!!

www.lifeofamodernhousewife.com

LiveLaughDecorate said...

Well, welcome back Ms. Not-so-old-lady! And happy belated birthday to boot. I swear you're a riot. An honest post if I've read one. For starters, painting furniture aint no joke so I appreciate the candor and yes, WTH is up with builders just tossing windows into a wall with no care for centering or balance? Jeez have mercy it's driving me bananas on a project I'm working on. Anyhoos, loving the white paint on the pieces and the fact that you can still see the leather detailing.

Diana @ Your Day Simplified said...

Sherry, you always make me smile when I read your post. Missed you and glad you are back. It also made me laugh when I read about your meltdown. Yesterday after I had spent 2 1/2 hours writing my post, 1/2 of it disappeared. I swear I didn't push the wrong button. Well I used a BAD word but my adult daughter was actually proud of me because I never get upset. I really wanted to throw my computer.
Hope you have a good day!

Lauren (The Cottage Mix) said...

I missed that it was your birthday! Happy Birthday! Looks like the beach was fabulous! Great way to spend a birthday. We've missed you in blogland. And yes, emerald green is still hot :)

A Perfect Gray said...

happiest of birthdays, sha-sha. pull out your walker. I want to meet you at scott's one of these days. you know we love ya. donna

Unknown said...

It's your birthday - throw a broom if you want to! ;) I can't believe you did so much work on your vacay! I would have been relaxing on that beach with my toes in the sand. All your painting paid off though- the room and furniture pieces look great!

lisaroy said...

I hear ya with the whole room painting thing - I hate painting but have to keep reminding myself how much I'll love it when it's done. After half a wall, I'm so over it.
Your room looks great! You sure know how to celebrate a birthday ; )

Carol@6WilsonBlog.com said...

Sorry to be late to the party -- happy Birthday week!! Nice changes. I swear, tho I hate to admit it, every birthday makes projects harder to do. My drapes in my dining room are still on the floor after wallpapering two weeks ago. Ugh. Who feels like it?

minerva @ park city realtor said...

I love your bathroom rug, too! :D So cute in that plaid design. :D

Back to Top