MY TRIP TO NANTUCKET



Well as suspected Tuesday was a no go on the post....and I was so relaxed by that point....that I could not even get to it on Monday :)

I can hardly explain how much I needed this break.  On top of everything we as a country are going thru....my own troubles definitely warranted a little break.

To start off....I felt really safe on Delta.  Everything was so clean and they are not selling the middle seat.  I think that was one of my biggest fears.

It was my very first visit to Nantucket and I can now say it's the most charming town ever.  The fact that 90% of the homes are gray and white really appealed  to my "neutral loving" soul!  Hopefully you saw some of my "instastories" showing some of the beautiful homes.  #visualoverload

I stayed with my neighbors who just completed a major renovation of their home.....and it was amazing.  They have been vacationing up there forever and finally bought 7 years ago.  Now they are gone from June to October which really irritates me.

This was the worst part....flying on Cape Air from Boston to Nantucket.  #whiteknuckle 

I love the colors she and her team [that is another story] picked out....

Jumped out of the car to this garden scene....



It was like full on spring up there!



Check out the view from the very top of the house!

Now let's talk about Anne....she is an excellent cook.  Where I will have saltines and butter for dinner....with wine of course.....she will whip up something worthy of a 5 star restaurant .

A friend told me about this cookbook and I shared it with her.  She said it is her new favorite.....
I am just now realizing that she made the cover dish!  Cauliflower steak in a cauliflower puree with a lemon salsa on top.  IT WAS AMAZING.....

She made this dish from the same cookbook the first night!

She also made these which I thought was cruel!  We ate half the dough and then lounged around in a sugar coma the rest of the day.




We stumbled on this store while out looking for a few accessories for her new place.  Oh yeah....did I mention I was NOT part of the design team? 

 #bitterpartyofone


This place was a gem!

Right down the street was this amazing home....I was told it previously belonged to Tommy Hilfiger.  Those shutters......

But seriously there were so many pretty moments.....


Are you ready to book a flight?

So many pretty moments.....

On Tuesday we can discuss why I wasn't part of the design/build team [how many times have I said that right?].....and I will share some pictures of the inside.

Oh yeah..... the first day we got there we took the dogs for a long walk and I was so stressed about ticks I practically bathed in Deets. I then talked about ticks and how scared I was every 5 minutes on the walk.  

They were kind of irritated about that.... but remember it was at their farm that I received my tick bite so I felt like they deserved to be a little uncomfortable:)

#justsayin

Shaygratefulforavacation




16 comments

Anonymous said...

Looks lovely there! In the 8th photo (after the photo of the view from the top of the house), I love both of the delicate plants along the deck. Do you know what those are?

M said...

I go to Nantucket every summer for the last week of August. It's like an entire other world. I'm so happy you got to enjoy it!

Linda Henderson said...

Yes, I would love to visit Nantucket. Bucket List. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

We stay at an inn near the former Tommy Hilfiger home. We've never seen a more level lawn anywhere, have you? Also, if you took early morning walks, you now know why everyone's window boxes are so lovely. Who would have guessed there's crew who replaces any faltering plantings. Peaceful, relaxing and filled with delicious eye candy all over that island. We're sad to miss that this summer but feeling safer at home. So glad you went.

michele said...

I feel like I was there with you, and y’all are even eating food that I could actually eat! Heavenly sunshine, Sherry, and I am so happy you got a break. I feel like you’ll be able to relax now about the whole tick situation because what are the chances...? Isn’t it like lightning? xox

Betsy said...

We walk by that house every day on our morning walk! Had no idea you were inside last week! lol We're also Atlantans - we have an 1840 Greek Revival cottage that has been a precious spot to spend the last 14 summers with our two sons who are now in college. So glad you got to experience the magic of Nantucket!

Mary said...

Hi Sherry,
I’ve never been to Nantucket. Maybe someday. Ahhhh
I don’t blame you a bit about being scared of ticks. I would be to if I had been as sick as you were. It’s obviously traumatic.

scentimentalNotes said...

My first thought was a self induced pity party, why do I live in Illinois?!?! You came next Sherry, thrilled you got away & had a break
Always pulling for you’
Xx
Debra

Sheila said...

Ahhh... I feel like I just had a little Nantucket get-away, too!
Also, that cauliflower dish sounds so amazing that I tracked down the recipe online and put cauliflower on my shopping list.
Thanks for sharing!

Gail Storti said...

I’ve never been to Nantucket but I’ve always wanted to go. I could be perfectly happy in any one of those wonderful gray and white homes, I love that style. So glad you had such a great and relaxing time. You certainly deserved it after all you’ve gone through lately.

Su-z said...

Ahhh! How lovely Nantucket is. I haven’t been there in 30 years, but I remember it vividly and fondly. I was a broke 20-something. I took the train from DC to Boston, then a bus to the cape and a ferry to the island. Stayed at a hostel, and rented a bike. I am shocked that I haven’t been back, it’s so lovely. Your friends have a gorgeous home. I’m glad you were able to enjoy it. Maybe next summer I can drag my husband there with me.

Anonymous said...

Sherry, they say beauty is in eye of the beholder! You are the beautiful beholder! Thank you for sharing all the items/places and funny things with all of us! Your sweet sense of humor is 2nd to NONE!!! Always a belly laugh!!! I’ve met many amazing women in my life (I’m a hairdresser) and you are right up there as one of the most likable,inspirational, talented, relatable and strong women I’ve ever had a pleasure to know. (even though we’ve never met) I have also been through a divorce and relate to the gamut of emotions you are going through.I promise happiest days of your life are ahead! Love you so much!!!

Sheila in SF said...

Sounds like you had a good time and such amazing food. I would freak out too over ticks. Glad it was enjoyable. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Nothing like an island, especially this one. Love everything in that shop. For anonymous, the plants are young Gaura plants, they will fill in and stay small but get “bushier”.

Dian Owens said...

Thanks for sharing all the lovely photos. I'm so glad you got to have some down time in such a beautiful place with friends.

michele said...

I'm ready to go to Nantucket now! Never been and bet I would love it. Thanks for directing me to this cookbook - can't wait to get it! Peace to you, Sherry. xox

Back to Top